Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can you get a decent job from a night course diploma/certificate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Can you get a decent job from a night course diploma/certificate?

I'm considering doing a night course in the new year. I'm going to combine it with my full time day job. Looking to do a computer or IT job as I wouldn't mind a nice office job. Would employers rate night course diplomas/certs for jobs? It's already tough for those with degrees to get jobs.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Science Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    I'm considering doing a night course in the new year. I'm going to combine it with my full time day job. Looking to do a computer or IT job as I wouldn't mind a nice office job. Would employers rate night course diplomas/certs for jobs? It's already tough for those with degrees to get jobs.
    It would probably help if you clarified what you mean by an IT job. It's a broad field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Science Ninja View Post
    It would probably help if you clarified what you mean by an IT job. It's a broad field.
    Clerical office staff. Even web page building. I did it in a course and I was alright at it.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it not really about the accreditation of the course, rather than the mode of delivery ?

Am thinking about doing the same thing myself, in a different area. To do it part-time nights is two and a half grand. To do it by distance learning is a grand cheaper.

Now, if I were an employer, and all other things being equal, would I be more impressed with the candidate who took the more self-reliant route ? Absolutely I would.

Is that a reasonable hypothesis, or are Irish employers more interested in the prestige of the institution ? I don't know.

Good luck with it, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course. Just do a HETAC accredited course over a FETAC course and you'll be fine. A third level Degree is a third level degree. The fact that you did it part time/online as opposed to full time matters not. In fact I suspect most employers will respect you for doing a part time course along with family and work commitments. The second in command and fourth in command in my place of work did part time courses.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can get a job in IT, with the right qualification, but it really depends on you. Having ticked all the necessary boxes does not make you qualified!
    As others have mentioned IT is a very broad term, so what area of IT are you aiming at?
    Do you want to repair PCs?
    Or be proficient in Microsoft stuff?
    Or just be be able to use a pc well?
    etc, etc.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some advice I was given by another poster on this site about qualifications, I really valued it.

You don't need any. Pick a problem to solve, buy a book and jump in. I dropped out of Uni and ended up writing software for the biggest software company on the planet. I'm self taught. All the best devs are. Then I left and started my own company which I've been running for the past 8 years.

But don't try programming unless you love it. Only by loving it can you hope to stay enough on top to stay at the job. If you find learning it a chore, I'd forget about it.
    My Advice : do the certs if you are interested in doing them, but don't rely on them alone. Most places worth working at will be looking at what you do outside of work and school. If you want to be a web developer, start making websites for fun, build a portfolio!

Udacity | Free Online Courses. Advance your College Education & Career

Do CS101 on this to get started, there are some interesting modules there. I don't think the certs they would give are worth much, but they will give you something to focus on.

Best of luck!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is Ireland.The first question (these pillars of irish society will ask you)are you quick and how much money do you expect. Now if the answer is, I am a flyer and I will work for nothing the job is your's.This is Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Theres no diference between full time and part time coursel i am doing my degree by night and have same assigments as fulltime course and will be sitting the same exam in the same room at same time as the full times. Its hard going while working a 50 hour week but hope i will pay off when i am finished.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast