Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Have We Lost Our Sense of Wonder?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Have We Lost Our Sense of Wonder?

"We have tested and tasted too much lover. Through a chink too wide there comes in no wonder".

The words of Patrick Kavanagh, which increasingly come to my mind as our social discourse seems to become ever more punctuated by a language which cheapens and demeans us. Am I alone in become ever more disquieted by the direction in which our society seems to be going?

With a lack of certainty where our values are concerned, I increasingly wonder if we have a leadership vacuum here in Ireland.

Thoughts?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe it's about too wide a fanny.

Read it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think intellectually, spiritually and culturally the country is in pretty bad shape. This may be part of a general Western malaise or it may be an Irish only experience formed in the fall out from the Celtic Tiger years. In any case, the nation's psyche is very exposed now, very vulnerable and anything could push it over the edge. The old generation is on the wane but the consciousness of the new generation is not fully formed and people seem to be waiting for something to believe in. People are really disillusioned with politics and people are tuning out. If the economy doesn't improve, and I don't think it will, there could be civil unrest. There is no real leadership there at the moment because there's no thinking out there at the moment. I think President Higgins should be playing a bigger role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgellons View Post
    I think intellectually, spiritually and culturally the country is in pretty bad shape. This may be part of a general Western malaise or it may be an Irish only experience formed in the fall out from the Celtic Tiger years. In any case, the nation's psyche is very exposed now, very vulnerable and anything could push it over the edge. The old generation is on the wane but the consciousness of the new generation is not fully formed and people seem to be waiting for something to believe in. People are really disillusioned with politics and people are tuning out. If the economy doesn't improve, and I don't think it will, there could be civil unrest. There is no real leadership there at the moment because there's no thinking out there at the moment. I think President Higgins should be playing a bigger role.
    yeah, he could naff off and bore the pants off some other poor sods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's your answer Radix!

Having experienced a week of imbeciles in reindeer jumpers talking bollix I would say you are on the money.