Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indo is now a tabloid

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Indo is now a tabloid

It seems that today was the last day that the Independent was published as a broadsheet. It will now only be available as in a compact/tabloid form.

Irish Independent releases last broadsheet edition - RTÉ News

Will the Sindo follow?
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    It seems that today was the last day that the Independent was published as a broadsheet. It will now only be available as in a compact/tabloid form.

Irish Independent releases last broadsheet edition - RTÉ News

Will the Sindo follow?
    The Sindo has been tabloid trash for about 15 years.

This guarantees that I will never buy the Indo again anyway.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    The Sindo has been tabloid trash for about 15 years.
    I'm inclined to agree with you Ryan, but on pausing for a moment of mature reflection it is probably fairer to say that it contained a lot of trash. It really showed the seedy underbelly of the Celtic tiger, and it aided and abetted it, milking the greediness of it for all it was worth.

The fawning of Barry Egan used to make me cringe, embarrassed at how shallow we must have appeared to the rest of the world. Then on the other hand the perfectly lovely Patricia Redlich was an oasis of common sense and real compassion. I think it wrong to judge an entire publication because of some of its content. That goes for Politics.ie as well.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given the number of disgraced people from the previous FF/PD/GP regime who are having their opinions included in it as journalism, I would say that the term "Tabloid" may be too generous a description for the Indo.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clearly this is a cost cutting measure.

IN&M will loose sales as a result from old dears who wont buy the tabloid format, from less visibility in shops with just one pile of newspapers and from people who perceive tabloid to equal trash. Sales will be hit in 2013.

There was one interesting comment in the article from the Indo editor: "Mr Rae did not rule out that the newspaper may decide to move exclusively online in the future".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_dENzD View Post

IN&M will loose sales as a result from old dears who wont buy the tabloid format, from less visibility in shops with just one pile of newspapers and from people who perceive tabloid to equal trash. Sales will be hit in 2013.

There was one interesting comment in the article from the Indo editor: "Mr Rae did not rule out that the newspaper may decide to move exclusively online in the future".

Shoot. The free copies I got of the Indo in it's various forms used to fit accross the bottom of the parrots cage.

Business Post now I suppose.

As a mentally deficient PS I have not bought any Indo since Jody named me. I just wonder if one sixth of the earning population of Ireland felt the same way.

ISME and IBEC need to look pretty carefully at where their income comes from

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_dENzD View Post

That will invariably mean that the IT will continue it's descent south as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman1 View Post
    Shoot. The free copies I got of the Indo in it's various forms used to fit accross the bottom of the parrots cage.

Business Post now I suppose.

As a mentally deficient PS I have not bought any Indo since Jody named me. I just wonder if one sixth of the earning population of Ireland felt the same way.

ISME and IBEC need to look pretty carefully at where their income comes from
    Never bought the rag since then myself. Journalism for Dublin 4 and screw the rest of the country.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Never bought the rag since then myself. Journalism for Dublin 4 and screw the rest of the country.
    More like journalism for Dublin 10 & 12 with aspirations to be Dublin 6. Dublin 4 is more the Irish Times

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Increasingly dumbed down.
    I read it online, and saw a few days ago it had an article on some woman (no idea who) who had a new hairstyle.
    Today online, it had a report on Adam Clayton's new hairstyle.
    It seems to be aiming to attract a more female readership.
    Can some of the women posters tell me this. Does this crap interest you?
    Maybe I'm just out of touch.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast