Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 522 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Meath East By-Election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Meath East By-Election

Fianna Fáil and Thomas Bryne will fancy their chances of a good showing. Fine Gael will probably run a prominent local councillor but it's hard for government parties to win by elections. Shinners will have decent opportunity to add to their numbers and enhance their national profile as they battle for title of the main opposition with FF. Labour will do well to get above the 10% mark. ULA and Greens are no hopers. Maybe a celebrity independent could run?
    Last edited by Honecker; 21st December 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    Fianna Fáil and Thomas Bryne will fancy their chances of a good showing. Fine Gael will probably run a prominent local councillor but it's hard for government parties to win by elections. Shinners will have decent opportunity to add to their numbers and enhance their national profile as they battle for title of the main opposition with FF. Labour will do well to get above the 10% mark. ULA and Greens are no hopers. Maybe a celebrity independent could run?
    FF will be putting in a BIG push here Don't know how strong SF are in Meath West, doubt if they have someone of the calibre of Peader Tobin. FF will be fancying their chances here
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

be interesting to see the pagehits of electionsireland and wikipedia today, nothing to do with p.ie
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

MrFunkyBoogaloo

On the subject of a bye-election..I hope FF, FG and Lab candidates (at least) are rejected.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking at Meath East in the future with the death of Shane McEntee that leaves the constituency with two tds - Regina Doherty (FG) and Dominic Hannigan (Lab) ... looking at potential candidates

FF - will most definitely run Thomas Byrne and while being FF will attract some discredit he wasnt involved in the last government at cabinet of minister of state level, is very competent and a possible minister in the future...with him being a former TD i'd say odds on favourite to win and reckon it will be him

SF - unlike neighbouring Meath West SF are very very thin on the ground here their GE 2011 candidate was Michael Gallagher who lost his local council seat in 2009 when FF were losing massive amounts of votes ... even with the SF pick up I think he will be a distance off

Lab - currently have Dominic Hannigan and while they will run someone who will have no chance I reckon they won't be interested in winning as that would be problematic come next GE ... they currently have two councilors there

- Niamh McGowan who being from Ashbourne directly overlaps with Dominic Hannigans bases or
    - Eoin Holmes who was coopted when Hannigan went to the Seanad and was subseqently elected in 2009 in the Slane district

FG - with Regina Doherty in Dunshaughlin I would say FG will be looking for a candidate in from the Kells/Nobber area in preparation for the GE 2015/16 ... there are a host of candidates

- Eugene Cassidy - local cllr from Nobber
    - John V Farrelly - previously a TD but has not ran in General Elections in a while can't imagine why he would decide to run again...only thing that might attract FG is that the community have heard of him before
    - Catherine Yore - is based in Kells but ran in Meath West last time out which I don't fully understand ...
    - Sirena Campbell - former PD who ran in the last Seanad elections and polled poorly overall.

For FG I would reckon either of the ladies would be the most likely candidate

Not sure whether any high profile indo would be running ...maybe Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh!!!!

Overall I reckon it'll be Thomas Byrne elected, 2 - FG, 3 - Lab, 4 - SF

edit someone mentioned Mairead McGuiness MEP and it is worth considering ... If the CAP negotiations rap up before the by election is called I reckon FG HQ would be punishing very strongly for her (or else she could be considered for a Commissioner role?) Shes from Drumcondrath which is a few mins from Nobber and that would be a great split between Doherty and McGuinness in the future elections..if she runs I would say she would get it
    Last edited by LgCastell; 21st December 2012 at 06:55 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what about Maraid Mcguinness

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LgCastell View Post
    Looking at Meath East in the future with the death of Shane McEntee that leaves the constituency with two tds - Regina Doherty (FG) and Dominic Hannigan (Lab) ... looking at potential candidates

FF - will most definitely run Thomas Byrne and while being FF will attract some discredit he wasnt involved in the last government at cabinet of minister of state level, is very competent and a possible minister in the future...with him being a former TD i'd say odds on favourite to win and reckon it will be him

SF - unlike neighbouring Meath West SF are very very thin on the ground here their GE 2011 candidate was Michael Gallagher who lost his local council seat in 2009 when FF were losing massive amounts of votes ... even with the SF pick up I think he will be a distance off

Lab - currently have Dominic Hannigan and while they will run someone who will have no chance I reckon they won't be interested in winning as that would be problematic come next GE ... they currently have two councilors there

- Niamh McGowan who being from Ashbourne directly overlaps with Dominic Hannigans bases or
    - Eoin Holmes who was coopted when Hannigan went to the Seanad and was subseqently elected in 2009 in the Slane district

FG - with Regina Doherty in Dunshaughlin I would say FG will be looking for a candidate in from the Kells/Nobber area in preparation for the GE 2015/16 ... there are a host of candidates

- Eugene Cassidy - local cllr from Nobber
    - John V Farrelly - previously a TD but has not ran in General Elections in a while can't imagine why he would decide to run again...only thing that might attract FG is that the community have heard of him before
    - Catherine Yore - is based in Kells but ran in Meath West last time out which I don't fully understand ...
    - Sirena Campbell - former PD who ran in the last Seanad elections and polled poorly overall.

For FG I would reckon either of the ladies would be the most likely candidate

Not sure whether any high profile indo would be running ...maybe Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh!!!!

Overall I reckon it'll be Thomas Byrne elected, 2 - FG, 3 - Lab, 4 - SF
    Nice contribution (I tried to get it back on topic a few pages ago..) +1. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LgCastell View Post
    Not sure whether any high profile indo would be running ...
    How active is Brian Fitzgerald nowadays?

I know his support had declined lately, but By-Elections can do funny things.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

MrFunkyBoogaloo

It's the same cohort of posters who consistently drag this thread off-topic...

...see ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I predict that Sarah Carey will be the FG candidate!

BTW because of the Doherty Supreme Court decision the by-election will have to take place by June 21st .

Page 1 of 522 123451151101501 ... LastLast