Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Election Promise broken by FG/LAB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Another Election Promise broken by FG/LAB

FG and Labour both denied during election campaigning that they would sell any forestry land owned by Coillte. Now today it has been confirmed in the Dáil that the government is to sell over 1100 acres of forest land in Donegal. The total amount of forestry sold in 2012 was 346 hectares nationally. This year the government plans to sell another 440 hectares in Donegal alone.

So another election promise broken but that is normal for the government now.

CONFIRMED: GOVERNMENT TO SELL DONEGAL FORESTS | Donegal Daily
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    FG and Labour both denied during election campaigning that they would sell any forestry land owned by Coillte. Now today it has been confirmed in the Dáil that the government is to sell over 1100 acres of forest land in Donegal. The total amount of forestry sold in 2012 was 346 hectares nationally. This year the government plans to sell another 440 hectares in Donegal alone.

Another porky pie uncovered more like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I remember you pay almost no tax on profits from forestry. This could be a very good investment for any aspiring gombeens. I might even see if I could borrow a few quid myself.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dick Spring is/was an investor in forestry.
    “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it the land or just the trees they are selling, if just the trees no problem , u set a crop to make money so when its ready u sell it and replant .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Is it the land or just the trees they are selling, if just the trees no problem , u set a crop to make money so when its ready u sell it and replant .
    This is in the article I cited.

Speaking today in response to PQs submitted by him on the issue, Donegal South West TD Pearse Doherty has expressed his anger and concern at the decision to sell 1,109 acres of Coillte land in the County.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Coillte to sell 1,109-acre forest in Co Donegal by public tender | Irish Examiner

Each year since 2003, between 800 and 1,460 acres were sold nationwide, for diverse uses including housing, commercial developments, and windfarms.
    Shock as Coillte continue doing business the way they have for the last decade.

Coillte: About Coillte

So they're selling 1100 acres (.1% of the national forests). So what?

We complain all the time that the McCarthy report was implemented. This is one of the recommendations in that report.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument against this sale but y'know....it's be nice if someone stated what the objection to the sale of this tiny % of land is.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Coillte to sell 1,109-acre forest in Co Donegal by public tender | Irish Examiner

Each year since 2003, between 800 and 1,460 acres were sold nationwide, for diverse uses including housing, commercial developments, and windfarms.
    Shock as Coillte continue doing business the way they have for the last decade.

Coillte: About Coillte

So they're selling 1100 acres (.1% of the national forests). So what?

We complain all the time that the McCarthy report was implemented. This is one of the recommendations in that report.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument against this sale but y'know....it's be nice if someone stated what the objection to the sale of this tiny % of land is.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post

Sadly this has always been on the cards...

And if Kenny & Co. keep allowing rings to be run around them in Europe this will only be the start...

Because if/when Merkel is re-elected and it's full steam ahead for the EU federation... you can bet your last cent that any bullsh!t 'deal' that Kenny and Co. try and sell as a win will in fact be a massive lose... and will include the plundering of state assets and the giving up of our corporate tax rate and all the rest as Ireland is reduced to a nice holiday destination for richer Europeans living in real economies who haven't been sold out by their elected representatives...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is another broken election promise by the government. That is one objection there. Is there a running tally on the broken promises now?

Maybe we just take Rabbitte at his word that politicians lie to get elected? Lets see Roscommon, Lisbon, Forests, Frankfurt's Way, Child Benefit cuts, and more.
    Last edited by Ulster-Lad; 21st December 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast