Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we teach our Children a Second Number System? A Number System of our own!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should we teach our Children a Second Number System? A Number System of our own!

For many decades now we have allocated some 4 hours a week in our Primary Schools to teach a second language which is in fact out first Language.

It is almost illogical that we should equip our children with a language of our own without considering the benefits of a number system of our own, which would reinforce our own cultural identity in a World converging on soulless homogenisation.

Perhaps it is time to teach our Children a second number system in Primary School. Currently the base of 10 number system is taught to our children and is used throughout the world probably because we have ten fingers.

Many of you are familiar with the binary number system which uses just 1's and 0's and is the vernacular of the digital age.

There are also other base systems which like 3, 4,5, 6 etc

The hexidecimal number system used a base 16 System. In mathematics and computer science, hexadecimal (also base 16, or hex) is a positional numeral system with a radix, or base, of 16. It uses sixteen distinct symbols, most often the symbols 09 to represent values zero to nine, and A, B, C, D, E, F (or alternatively af) to represent values ten to fifteen.

I am suggesting that we look at a base 17 (septidecimal)or base 18 system which would be almost unique in day to day use. Learning a second number base system would make it easier for our Children to learn a third or even a fourth number base system such as hexidecimal.

I have no doubt that in a few decades our people would grow to love having a number system of our own, a native number system, which would grow to be cherished and loved. Do we really want to use a the number ten number system which was foisted upon us many centuries ago?

The initiative if it were adopted would make our people much more mathematically agile and pay huge dividends to our economy.

What is a Nation without its own Number System?

Hexadecimal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We already have it. We are a nation that thinks in billions now.
    This sig would be more impressive in Latin.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Didimus View Post
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    I think this statement could well be lost on high percentage of posters on the site!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    I think this statement could well be lost on high percentage of posters on the site!
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand ternary, and those who don't understand ternary, and those who confuse it for binary.

And I'm sure the googling skills of the p.ie are as good as mine...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Didimus View Post
    one of my favourite gags

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many Educators asure us that learning Irish helps us to learn additional languages. Could the septidecimal base number system help us to learn hexidecimal and binary number systems, as well as allowing us to have a number base system of our own?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    Many Educators asure us that learning Irish helps us to learn additional languages. Could the septidecimal base number system help us to learn hexidecimal and binary number systems, as well as allowing us to have a number base system of our own?
    Assuming you are joking; joke made.

If you are serious, no. Base 17 is no better than any other number base.

The idea of a number base is not that difficult to teach/learn. Bases 10, 2 & 16 are plenty for now.

And most people only need base 10.

You were joking?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    When you're explaining you're losing
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast