Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivana Bacik insults 'C' Case woman who regrets abortion, claims she was "manipulated"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ivana Bacik insults 'C' Case woman who regrets abortion, claims she was "manipulated"

Ivana Bacik, the pro-choice/pro-abortion Labour Senator who has called for the abortion debate to be conducted "in a respectful and dignified fashion" has brought the level of debate to a new low by insulting the rape victim who was the subject of the C Case in 1997 and subsequently expressed regret at having an abortion.

Using the pseudonym 'Mary', the woman spoke on the 'Today with Pat Kenny' show in July 2009. She described her horrific ordeal of being raped at the age of 13, her recollection of the abortion, her subsequent regrets and mental health issues and how she still lives in fear. This is how she described her experience of the abortion:

"I remember going on the plane to have an abortion. I didn't understand what was happening. I thought they were going to take the baby out, like there would be a living baby there...I asked for the baby and there was no baby. I wouldn't have wanted to keep the baby. I would have put it up for adoption or something."

"I never got over it. I went and got a death cert done and named it Shannon. I had to have something to keep to say that the child was there."

In a debate with Ronan Mullen on yesterday's Pat Kenny show, Bacik was dismissive of 'Mary's' story regretting the abortion and made the following claim with no evidence whatsoever to back it up:

"I think she was very much manipulated by a very far right extremist group"

Bacik should withdraw this disgraceful claim or put forward evidence in support of it.

Debate between Ronan Mullen and Ivana Bacik on yesterday's 'Today with Pat Kenny' show: RT.ie Radio1: Today with Pat Kenny - Today with Pat Kenny (Bacik's remark is just after the 20 minute mark).

Full interview with 'Mary', the woman at the centre of the 'C' Case: Miss 'C' | Fluctu8 Podcast Directory
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

She is a 28 yr old woman - hardly at the age where she could be "manipulated a a Far Right extremist group". On the other hand Savita's death has been manipulated by Far Left extremist groups.
    Save the 27th

What a sad story behind the 'C' case. Everyone should be informed about what the procedure entails. No one should be forced to have an abortion. It's about having the choice to have one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes, Mullen is indeed an obnoxious scumbucket who will stoop to any depths to further his particular brand of dark ages superstition.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is it about women and the c- word?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd normally support reform of the Seanad, but these two creatures are fine examples of the cesspit that is the Seanad.
    “The French Revolution was nothing but a precursor of another revolution, one that will be bigger, more solemn, and which will be the last.” Babeuf

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Ivana Bacik, the pro-choice/pro-abortion Labour Senator who has called for the abortion debate to be conducted "in a respectful and dignified fashion" has brought the level of debate to a new low by insulting the rape victim who was the subject of the C Case in 1997 and subsequently expressed regret at having an abortion.

Using the pseudonym 'Mary', the woman spoke on the 'Today with Pat Kenny' show in July 2009. She described her horrific ordeal of being raped at the age of 13, her recollection of the abortion, her subsequent regrets and mental health issues and how she still lives in fear. This is how she described her experience of the abortion:

"I remember going on the plane to have an abortion. I didn't understand what was happening. I thought they were going to take the baby out, like there would be a living baby there...I asked for the baby and there was no baby. I wouldn't have wanted to keep the baby. I would have put it up for adoption or something."

"I never got over it. I went and got a death cert done and named it Shannon. I had to have something to keep to say that the child was there."

In a debate with Ronan Mullen on yesterday's Pat Kenny show, Bacik was dismissive of 'Mary's' story regretting the abortion and made the following claim with no evidence whatsoever to back it up:

Bacik should withdraw this disgraceful claim or put forward evidence in support of it.

Debate between Ronan Mullen and Ivana Bacik on yesterday's 'Today with Pat Kenny' show: RT.ie Radio1: Today with Pat Kenny - Today with Pat Kenny (Bacik's remark is just after the 20 minute mark).

Full interview with 'Mary', the woman at the centre of the 'C' Case: Miss 'C' | Fluctu8 Podcast Directory
    All I know, is that better times for Cinderella cannot be far away when an ugly sister is glimpsed.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    Key phrase is "I think".
    Bacik is not claiming anything. She is simply offering an opinion.
    You need to get over yourself.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being against abortion does not make you a 'far right extremist'.

Being part of the current coalition certainly places one fairly well to the right no matter what your view on abortion is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course she's been manipulated - just like all the people in Ireland who against all reason would plead that a 13 YEAR OLD should be allowed to go through with a pregnancy resulting from rape.

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast