Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Off duty' PSNI man shot in Bangor.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 'Off duty' PSNI man shot in Bangor.

Just to edit this OP as it seems confusing, UTV and The Guardian are linking the attack to anti-GFA republicans but the Newsletter and the Irish Independent don't see it as politically motivated, citing criminal reasons. Also UTV led with the headline: Off duty police officer 'shot in Bangor'.

http://www.u.tv/News/Off-duty-police...9-825e96487193

I also see UTV has added the critical word 'allegedly' since they first reported the shooting. Very nice of them. The Guardian is pointing the finger at anti-GFA republicans and understands the PSNI man's role is a personal protection officer who wears plain clothes when on duty. Reports also indicate the lucky policeman hails from west Belfast. Where they got this info I don't know, perhaps UTV.

The Newsletter reports other media outlets have reported that the incident is not believed to be 'terrorist related'. A PSNI spokeswoman said: “Police are currently dealing with an alleged shooting incident in the Springhill area of Bangor involving an off-duty police officer''. At least the Newsletter is attempting not to look stupid.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/hea...ting-1-4603618

The Irish Independent has strangely claimed it isn't politically motivated. They believe the PSNI thinks it may be an attack by a criminal armed gang in the area.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-3332394.html

What's with all this confusion? I know UTV's reportage is garbage at the best of times, but scaremongering and reporting incidents as fact, when they clearly aren't is dangerous at best and felon setting at worst. I'm sure others could even accuse it of having an agenda. It's particularly dangerous at this time when unionists and loyalists are angry at the removal of the Union flag in Belfast and tempers are on a knife edge.

Calling this lazy would almost indicate it's merely bad reporting, but it's certainly more than that, it is dangerous reporting.
    Last edited by theloner; 20th December 2012 at 08:42 AM.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Ahh..Apologies!
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Ahh..Apologies!
    There's no need to apologise, you've come up with a well written OP on a topical story. As for the question: Papers have different sources. This is an event that's just occurred and is being investigated now. In addition there's quite a lot of overlap between republican/loyalist groups and simple criminality. It's perfectly possible for a PSNI officer to get shot by a republican/loyalist terrorist because they were investigating the drug trade as opposed to a "political" motivation.

So there's a good chance that confused messages may be given at an early stage.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    There's no need to apologise, you've come up with a well written OP on a topical story. As for the question: Papers have different sources. This is an event that's just occurred and is being investigated now. In addition there's quite a lot of overlap between republican/loyalist groups and simple criminality. It's perfectly possible for a PSNI officer to get shot by a republican/loyalist terrorist because they were investigating the drug trade as opposed to a "political" motivation.

So there's a good chance that confused messages may be given at an early stage.
    Quite true but what is interesting is that there will be little enough condemnation or comment on the subject on this site until the perpetrators are identified and then we will be deluged with condemnation depending on whether it was loyalist or republican or gangster related. It's always amusing seeing people work themselves up into a lather of righteous indignation when they discover it's one from the other side that is responsible.

Henry McDonald is an awful reporter working for a previously good paper that is getting worse by the day.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Cruimh on the case?

Murderous Hibernians on a sectarian rampage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A MOPE nipped in the bud.

Damn good show, what what .
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    Quite true but what is interesting is that there will be little enough condemnation or comment on the subject on this site until the perpetrators are identified and then we will be deluged with condemnation depending on whether it was loyalist or republican or gangster related. It's always amusing seeing people work themselves up into a lather of righteous indignation when they discover it's one from the other side that is responsible.
    I never understood that. Anyone breaking the law should be prosecuted. Anyone shooting an officer should be prosecuted. There's no sliding scale of acceptability for shooting a poplice officer depending on the shotter's religion/politics.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been hearing all afternoon that it was two dissident republicans arrested.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast