Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet voting - should we consider?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Internet voting - should we consider?

Like a lot of other developed countries, voter turnout in this country has generally being in decline. Obviously, disillusionment plays the biggest role in this, but convenience can as well. Especially for students studying a good bit away from home, voting could often mean a missed day of lectures. That is but one example.

So with that in mind, should we consider introducing the option of internet voting? If we also introduced a system of National ID numbers, it would make it relatively easy to prevent fraud, and it would especially be accessible to the younger population, who are the least likely demography to vote. It would also make voting from abroad possible, if done correctly.

As well as this, I have being thinking - what about the idea of voting by phone? Obviously, referendums would properly be the only votes that would be practical to conduct by phone, but unlike the internet, phones are universally available, and would offer much the same convenience.

Before anyone says "well, what would stop people voting more than once?", I would think that anyone proposing these would have the sense to ensure that it cannot happen.

So, what would you think of the introducing of internet and/or phone voting? Any other related comments and discussion would be welcomed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If someone cant be arsed to go to a polling booth then tough tit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes provided it can't be hacked into. Especially helpful for the handicapped.
    Save the 27th

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. Not in the EU. The problem is that it might reduce the cost of voting, and you could end up with more frequent elections. No the last thing that anybody close to a large centralized unaccountable structure of governance wants to see is more frequent voting.

Don't consult the people. The Bank bondholders wouldn't. [ waiting for some well fed plutocrat to tell the people that it would cause instability. Instability is what happens when big business does not know who to lobby.].
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    If someone cant be arsed to go to a polling booth then tough tit
    If someone can't be arsed to walk the seven miles to the nearest town, then tough tit.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    No. Not in the EU. The problem is that it might reduce the cost of voting, and you could end up with more frequent elections. No the last thing that anybody close to a large centralized unaccountable structure of governance wants to see is more frequent voting.

Don't consult the people. The Bank bondholders wouldn't. [ waiting for some well fed plutocrat to tell the people that it would cause instability. Instability is what happens when big business does not know who to lobby.].
    Well, I'm not in that category.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Yes provided it can't be hacked into. Especially helpful for the handicapped.
    Well, Estonia doesn't experiences problems. I would certainly hope that it can't be hacked.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be in favour of it myself...

Unfortunately though, I suspect it wouldn't be secure and that no guarantees could be given regarding security, abuse or reassurance that it would be impossible to track how an individual votes etc...

We couldn't even get voting machines to work... not with all the hysteria that was generated by gobsh!tes...

I never did understand why in electronic voting a paper receipt couldn't be issued to confirm to the voter how they had voted...

For the first few elections they could have issued two receipts, one which was retained by the voter and another inserted into a ballot box...

They could then have compared the ballot box vote with the electronic to ensure the same numbers came up in both...

And I'll bet anyone the electronic results would have been more accurate than the ballot box results...

And then after a few elections once people had confidence in the system they could have abandoned the ballot box altogether...
    Last edited by Spanner Island; 20th December 2012 at 12:49 AM.

Same problem as with voting machines - lack of verifiable audit trail.

How do you ensure all votes are registered and counted? How do you make this voter verifiable?
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about phone and text voting too ?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast