Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Heartache for Parents of Murdered Child.

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default More Heartache for Parents of Murdered Child.

BBC News - Michael McIlveen murder verdicts quashed

The sentences originally handed down were very light, so the decision by the Court of Appeal to free these people should come as no surprise.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    BBC News - Michael McIlveen murder verdicts quashed

The sentences originally handed down were very light, so the decision by the Court of Appeal to free these people should come as no surprise.

Travesty Tommy, the place is indeed sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There'll be Christmas parties for these people to celebrate their return to Ballymena. What an irony.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No one has been released. The courts have taken the decision that due to circumstances raised during appeal that the convictions are unsafe.

There can be no winners out of this. A 15 year old lost his life and whatever happens to those convicted they are going to have to constantly look over their shoulders. I firmly believe that they will pay for their crimes be it now or when they meet their maker.

Ballymena has moved on a great deal from then. During the time of the death regular fights were being organised between youths. The town centre was a real dodgy place to be. One of the lads currently serving time had his ankle busted the year earlier when attacked by Catholic youths with Hurley bats.

The kind of local knowledge I would have should not be shared on a site like so. Too much rumour and hear say and it would be disrespectful to the family.

I want the correct people, the people guilty to serve the time for this crime. No one should be convicted on hear say or lies.

Nothing can justify what happened to Micky bo and I really feel for the family at this point. It just opens it all up again especially at this time of year.

I just hope justice is done.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longmarch View Post
    No one has been released. The courts have taken the decision that due to circumstances raised during appeal that the convictions are unsafe.

There can be no winners out of this. A 15 year old lost his life and whatever happens to those convicted they are going to have to constantly look over their shoulders. I firmly believe that they will pay for their crimes be it now or when they meet their maker.

Ballymena has moved on a great deal from then. During the time of the death regular fights were being organised between youths. The town centre was a real dodgy place to be. One of the lads currently serving time had his ankle busted the year earlier when attacked by Catholic youths with Hurley bats.

The kind of local knowledge I would have should not be shared on a site like so. Too much rumour and hear say and it would be disrespectful to the family.

I want the correct people, the people guilty to serve the time for this crime. No one should be convicted on hear say or lies.

Nothing can justify what happened to Micky bo and I really feel for the family at this point. It just opens it all up again especially at this time of year.

I just hope justice is done.
    Is it true that one of the Protestants convicted was a former student of the town's only integrated secondary school and another was a former student of a Ballymena Protestant grammar school which had a long history of having large minorities of Catholics?

Politics.ie Member death or glory's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that for the sake of the victim's family that we should not try to sectarian point score here.
    Personally not knowing many of the facts, my own opinion in all these cases is that the police do not randomly take people of the streets to prosecute them.
    If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is worth remembering that those unionists convicted of this crime were found guilty and their acquittal was based on a technicality, not some new evidence that "proves their innocence".

It's awful that Mickeys parents have no sense of closure in this nightmare.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Johnny Boy

I hope the family get justice. As this decision was taken by flaws in the summing up, it seems likely that there will be a retrial. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial including republican and loyalist paramilitaries.
    I know nothing of the detail of the case though, but it shouldn't be the basis of a sectarian argument on this site.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenshane4 View Post
    Is it true that one of the Protestants convicted was a former student of the town's only integrated secondary school and another was a former student of a Ballymena Protestant grammar school which had a long history of having large minorities of Catholics?
    One of them did attend Slemish college which is integrated. Not sure about the grammar school part. To the outside its a clear cut case. Protestant v Catholic. It's a little more complicated. One of the convicted has family from the Dunclug area where Micky came from and I know for a fact that family side would be at least arm chair republicans.

It made a hole in more than one family. There was some baiting afterwards with certain references to Micky bo put on bonfires etc but the complete majority of Ballymena were disgusted by this.

In my opinion his death actually prevented a few more. It was a wake up call for the town of how out of control the situation was. Much more education and mixing between schools now in the town etc to help combat the menace of sectarianism.

Waste less sense of a young prosperous life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What, no sympathy from the pretend Paddy for those jailed without trial at Gitmo? Tommy, I really do hope you would fling yourself off the nearest pier to where you live. Failing that, could you kindly phuck off and leave the discussions about Ireland to those of us who actually fukking live here! Tosser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast