Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to the Ozone Hole? Well, it's closing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Whatever happened to the Ozone Hole? Well, it's closing!

Recently, scientists announced that the Ozone Hole over Antarctica, detected in the 1970s, was gradually closing as a result of action taken by International Treaty. The announcement was made at the 2012 [Edit: 2011 actually] Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco.

"Ozone-depleting substances are declining as we expected," Newman [an atmospheric chemist with NASA] said. "The Montreal Protocol has led to that decline, and we expect them to continue to decline in the future."

Ozone levels are projected to return to 1980 levels by 2032, he said.
    In a world without the Montreal Protocol, two-thirds of the ozone layer would have been destroyed by 2065, and the UV index, a measure of the strength of the sun's ultraviolet rays, would have tripled, with the tropics seeing a particularly large increase in UV rays reaching Earth's surface.
    The Montreal Protocol agreed the banning of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) from 1989. The substances were used as coolants for refrigeration, as a component for aerosol sprays and some other industrial applications.

Paul Newman

Climate Success Story: Saving the Ozone Layer | Montreal Protocol & Saving the Protective Ozone Layer | Ozone Hole, Greenhouse Gases & Climate Change | LiveScience

Montreal Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry was shared in 1995 as a result of the Ozone Depletion work - Paul Crutzen, Mario Molina and Sherwood Rowland received the award

This happy progress shows that the world can agree to reduce the release of harmful substances into the atmosphere, that such action can work and the science behind the action is sound.
    Last edited by owedtojoy; 19th December 2012 at 08:21 PM.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

There should have been more publicity to this. As usual, good news is not on the front page of the dailies. They prefer to wallow in the negative, the sad, the shocking.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I pour lemon into my vodka it changes colour slightly . The OP s idiotic comparison is akin to me pouring the same amount of lemon into the Atlantic Ocean and expecting it to change colour too. [ posts on climate from this OP are not to be trusted as he has already destroyed the thread on climate change with thousands of spam type posts and hostile insults to those who differ from his ideological propoganda]
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the Greens are gone , so is the hole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    Bet you they will be back .... but not the Hole (hopefully).

PS Not a Green voter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    If I pour lemon into my vodka it changes colour slightly . The OP s idiotic comparison is akin to me pouring the same amount of lemon into the Atlantic Ocean and expecting it to change colour too. [ posts on climate from this OP are not to be trusted as he has already destroyed the thread on climate change with thousands of spam type posts and hostile insults to those who differ from his ideological propoganda]
    Just to irritate you totally, I can remind you that CFCs are also greenhouse gases and their removal from the atmosphere has reduced (ever so slightly) the rate of increase in global warming.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    There are slimey green holes spouting biased putrefaction for vested interest purposes' daily on the media concerning the environment .
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

There are slimey green holes spouting biased putrefaction for vested interest purposes' daily on the media concerning the environment .
    Would that be The Irish Catholic?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Just to irritate you totally, I can remind you that CFCs are also greenhouse gases and their removal from the atmosphere has reduced (ever so slightly) the rate of increase in global warming.
    Sadly not. CFC's and the interim HCFC's had significantly greater warming effects than CO2 (in the HCFC case of R22, it has Global warming potential of GWP of 1800 - that is for one unit of mass, R22 had 1800 times the warming effect of CO2), the non ozone deleting potential (ODP) substances which replaced them, HFC's had GWP's in the region of double that.

Not all of them, mind you, but the refrigerant of choice for retail applications was R404A which has a GWP (depending on who's calculating it) of c. 3800. R22 which had a limited ODP (5% of the the baseline R12 which it replaced), also had a GWP of about 1800. It also happens to be significantly more energy efficient than R404A (c. 20%). So not only has the direct effect of emissions risen - so has the indirect emissions risen due to the increase energy requirement...

The only way to get close to the energy efficiency of R22, whilst limiting GWP to minimal or nil levels is to use either toxic, flamable or explosive substances. Which require their own unique engineering requirements, which will limit efficiency in an environment like a supermarket.

So in effect - the Montreal protocol and the law of unintended consequences had the effect of increasing Greenhouse gases. New regulation and environmental pressure is going some way to redressing this though (in the last 10 years).
    Guess the posters; "I'd love to see you choke on anything." / "What would you know, Jew? You're a Jew"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you sure you can mix alcohol with anti-psychotics?
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast