Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge decribes a defendant as " A pure Tinker"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Judge decribes a defendant as " A pure Tinker"

A 23 year old woman who was before Judge Seamus Hughes at a sitting of Athlone District Court on a Charge of Assault arising from an incident where the woman was accused of smashing a glass into another woman's face.

Judge Hughes who is a former Fianna Fáil T.D. addressed the woman with the following remarks: " “What are you like on a night out? You must be a pure tinker. That’s the only word I can think of, and I’m not casting aspersions on any other section of society when I say that.”

The woman pleaded guilty to assault and received a two month suspended sentence after handing over €700.

A two month suspended sentence seems like a very light sentence for such an offence, considering the same Judge had sentenced a man to climb Croagh Patrick and do four stations of the cross along with some prayers.

Judge Hughes has a history of making controversial remarks. He made the following remarks during a case before him: "We usually know our neighbours and generally we know who 'has form' and who doesn't. Mr Stokes' neighbours would know that he has considerable form.

"Nobody has indicated it to me, but I suspect he comes from a certain ethnic background that would give him even more form given the type of behaviour in which some of them engage.

"As I've described it before, they are like Neanderthal men living in the long grass, abiding by the laws of the jungle."

Judge calls woman on assault charge

BBC News - Judge tells man to climb holy mountain Croagh Patrick

Traveller group calls on Athlone judge to resign - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Examiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What did he do wrong? She broke the law... "Tinkers" are known to flaunt the law..... so?

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    A 23 year old woman who was before Judge Seamus Hughes at a sitting of Athlone District Court on a Charge of Assault arising from an incident where the woman was accused of smashing a glass into another woman's face.

Judge Hughes who is a former Fianna Fáil T.D. addressed the woman with the following remarks: " “What are you like on a night out? You must be a pure tinker. That’s the only word I can think of, and I’m not casting aspersions on any other section of society when I say that.”

The woman pleaded guilty to assault and received a two month suspended sentence after handing over €700.

A two month suspended sentence seems like a very light sentence for such an offence, considering the same Judge had sentenced a man to climb Croagh Patrick and do four stations of the cross along with some prayers.

Judge Hughes has a history of making controversial remarks. He made the following remarks during a case before him: "We usually know our neighbours and generally we know who 'has form' and who doesn't. Mr Stokes' neighbours would know that he has considerable form.

"Nobody has indicated it to me, but I suspect he comes from a certain ethnic background that would give him even more form given the type of behaviour in which some of them engage.

"As I've described it before, they are like Neanderthal men living in the long grass, abiding by the laws of the jungle."

Judge calls woman on assault charge

BBC News - Judge tells man to climb holy mountain Croagh Patrick

Traveller group calls on Athlone judge to resign - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Examiner
    Luke 22:36 - 38 / Psalm 144:1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Is the woman a Traveller? If so then what is the problem? Travellers themselves used to wear the name proudly. Did the PC-brigade wake up one day and decide it was "offensive" like they are trying to do with the term "non-national".
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Pure" as in "chaste" ?

Or maybe he meant a "pure thinker"--- seeing some deep and considered significance in the woman's violent action...

If it's not either of those, we are left with the remaining possibility that the judge is some kind of a nutjob reactionary throwback who has a slate off...

And that can't be true, can it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After how many years of education exactly ?
    What class of people are running this country?
    The mind boggles at their incompetence ,stupidity and unfitness for purpose.
    I love all the different cheeses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Is the woman a Traveller? If so then what is the problem? Travellers themselves used to wear the name proudly. Did the PC-brigade wake up one day and decide it was "offensive" like they are trying to do with the term "non-national".

Nah , some nerds somewhere in history had a weird notion that justice should be blind !
    Can you believe that nonsense ?
    Its political correctness gone mad I tells ya

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alda View Post
    Nah , some nerds somewhere in history had a weird notion that justice should be blind !
    Can you believe that nonsense ?
    Its political correctness gone mad I tells ya
    What happens if Judges believe some groups in society are much more likely to commit crime than others?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What happens if Judges believe some groups in society are much more likely to commit crime than others?
    I dunno. Whats the policy on prejudiced jurors ?
    Is there one ? If so , why not have a policy or 'law' to deal with prejudiced judges also ?
    Seems like common sense to me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds as though he was quite restrained, in the circumstances.

He was calling a spade a bespoke soilmoving instrument.

Anyone who glasses a woman in the face is a gurrier of the lowest order.

Politics.ie Member Ramon Mercadar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alda View Post
    After how many years of education exactly ?
    What class of people are running this country?
    The mind boggles at their incompetence ,stupidity and unfitness for purpose.
    I pity anyone who has to go before a judge who is a former FF TD. Not fit to judge anyone.
    In 1908, in London, at the Olympics, Irish American Martin Sheridan announced “This flag dips for no earthly king," when the US team paraded past the royal box.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast