Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cllr Sean McManus about to leave SF: Sindo

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cllr Sean McManus about to leave SF: Sindo

Maybe not the best source for this but according to the Sindo longtime Sligo Cllr Sean McManus is about to leave SF, the 3rd SF Cllr in a week. The article does not make any mention of his son who is also a Sligo Cllr. If true it would indicate a full blown crises within SF. Cllr McManus was a SF Cllr at a time before it was popular to be one, a longtime stalwart, he was one of SF's key targets to win a Dail seat.

<DC> Here is the article from the Sunday Independent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My error. Could a mod put this is into the SF forum.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Cllr Sean McManus about to leave SF: Sindo

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth
    Maybe not the best source for this but according to the Sindo longtime Sligo Cllr Sean McManus is about to leave SF, the 3rd SF Cllr in a week. The article does not make any mention of his son who is also a Sligo Cllr. If true it would indicate a full blown crises within SF. Cllr McManus was a SF Cllr at a time before it was popular to be one, a longtime stalwart, he was one of SF's key targets to win a Dail seat.
    I see the Independent is actually predicting two further resignations. I wouldn't regard the Sunday Independent as a reliable source. Why do they say he is allegedly leaving? Nobody likes to lose an elected representative but I would not describe the loss of a few councillors a crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by factual
    I see the Independent is actually predicting two further resignations. I wouldn't regard the Sunday Independent as a reliable source. Why do they say he is allegedly leaving? Nobody likes to lose an elected representative but I would not describe the loss of a few councillors a crisis.
    It is after a general election when you went backwards and when your party claims that its councillors are the base for further progress.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M
    It is after a general election when you went backwards and when your party claims that its councillors are the base for further progress.
    First off, Sinn Féin did not go backwards in t he general election. In fact SF increaed both its share and its absolute numbner of voters, and is in a bettter position in terms of number of potentially winnable seats moving forward. Second off, the loss of a few councillors is insignificant in the big scheme of things, Sinn Féin have a lot of hard working councillors. Sinn Féin have increased their number of votes in each and every like-for like election in the 26 counties since the 1980s, a very impressive record that none of the 26 county parties can match.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M
    First off, Sinn Féin did not go backwards in t he general election. In fact SF increaed both its share and its absolute numbner of voters, and is in a bettter position in terms of number of potentially winnable seats moving forward. Second off, the loss of a few councillors is insignificant in the big scheme of things, Sinn Féin have a lot of hard working councillors. Sinn Féin have increased their number of votes in each and every like-for like election in the 26 counties since the 1980s, a very impressive record that none of the 26 county parties can match.
    An election result is based on seats, won pure and simple. In 2002, SF won 5, in 2007 they won four. When you compare the vote share in constituencies where they ran in both elections, they went down. The only reason their vote went up is that they stood in more constituencies, this is totally worthless for comparitive purposes. Thereforefore to say that SF vote share went up is simply an exercise in smoke and morrors, we all know the truth, you're not dealing with novices here.

Also, please spare me the "winnable seats" nonsense. My vote is in Dublin Central, now do your really need to be reminded of how that "winnable seat" went?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If McManus leaves SF they are in deep trouble in the West. He has been a long time SF representative and is highly respected.

It does look as SF have peaked in the ROI.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Keith-M]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Keith-M":2iyx1k2k
    An election result is based on seats, won pure and simple. In 2002, SF won 5, in 2007 they won four. When you compare the vote share in constituencies where they ran in both elections, they went down. The only reason their vote went up is that they stood in more constituencies, this is totally worthless for comparitive purposes. Thereforefore to say that SF vote share went up is simply an exercise in smoke and morrors, we all know the truth, you're not dealing with novices here.

Also, please spare me the "winnable seats" nonsense. My vote is in Dublin Central, now do your really need to be reminded of how that "winnable seat" went?[/quote:2iyx1k2k]

Thats also true of the GP. The only reason the GP went marginally up was because we ran a candidate in every constituency. In several constituencies where we put down a good footprint in 2002, we lost votes in 2007 (e.g. Kildare North, Clare). The GP lucked out with Gormley, Cuffe and Mary White. On another day, we could have lost 3 seats. The fortunes of the GP and SF next time out will largely be determined by whether or not FG and Lab do a pact, in that there will be another squeeze.
    The only way to change the world is to win elections.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergo
    If McManus leaves SF they are in deep trouble in the West. He has been a long time SF representative and is highly respected.

Quote Originally Posted by ergo

Indeed, given the party's decline in Dublin, I wouldn't be putting my money on MLM holding her Euro seat if FF get their act together.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast