Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers - an entertaining telly series or a frightening portent ?

Default Doomsday Preppers - an entertaining telly series or a frightening portent ?

On the National Geographic channel, a new series about survivalists who expect Civilisation to fail any day.

At a time when the failures of politicians seem epidemic and our complicated interconnected world economy seems fragile : the relief operations after Hurricane Katrina, the UK 2011 riots, the Iceland Volcano stopping all flights etc.

These doomsday preppers see the final straw coming from things as diverse as : a financial crisis, an electromagnetic solar pulse, earthquakes, social breakdown, failure of the Logistics network, the end of Cheap Oil, Climate Change, HyperInflation etc etc.

In preparation for the doom scenario these people are taking many measures : stocking up with longlife-food and weapons, investing in small subsistence farms, learning folk home-craft skills, learning to forage for food, storing medical supplies, books, 2 way radio sets, etc etc.

And so a question : Are they hillbilly banjo-playing nutters or clear-sighted visionaries ?

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
    Doomsday Preppers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Western" society is overpopulated for the resources available to it.

It's a crapshoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i like the saying expect the unexpected but a planet hiding behide the sun, thats going to crash into us on 21st is something i never expected.

anyway why are we taking advice of the end of our civilisation from the mayans anyway? they couldn't even predict their own demise.

one thing these preppers do warn about in their own way is that they tell us not to rely too much on one modern commodity and to us this commodity is electricity.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can tell you one thing, in the event of a meltdown of any kind, you would not want to be depending on tesco's, dunnes, aldi or lidl to feed you, nor the state to protect you.

Just look at the aftermath of hurricane katrina,the london riots law and order broke down and the authorities who would be on a scale of say 9 compared to our 2 completely failed,not to mention both their massive standing armies.

I think a disaster in a rural aera would not be too bad, but anything major in any city and things would get out of control very quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    "Western" society is overpopulated for the resources available to it.

It's a crapshoot.
    Not if you have cows!
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Not if you have cows!
    My rifles trump your cows.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    Are they hillbilly banjo-playing nutters or clear-sighted visionaries ?
    The former, minus the mountain origins and the musical skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We are always predicting our doom and then finding ways to avoid it. New York was going to be 10ft deep in horse sht in 1910 according to doomers in 1870. Guess what.
    We are ingenious little vermin when we need to be. I just wish we would spread to other places in case a big asteroid hits us.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    My rifles trump your cows.
    My cannibal mutant hybrids trump your rifles and cow or cows with rifles for horns and when they moo, they shoot.
    All men dream: but not equally. -T. E. Lawrence

not to mention a disease pandemic, a Tsunami , or a computer virus, or another superVolcano like Krakatoa
    1883 eruption of Krakatoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Spirit Of Newgrange; 18th December 2012 at 12:31 AM.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast