Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the ombudsman investigate council interview process?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Can the ombudsman investigate council interview process?

Hi,

Quick question as stated above.

Friend of mine went for a job with the local authority. It took the council five months from the application deadline to fill the vacancy. This included two interviews, where they interviewed 120 people in the first round and only took it down to forty for the second. In the first interview he got his results of the interview and under relevant experience he got 22 out of 25.

In the second interview, there were people attending who didn't do the first interview. My friend did not get the job and his relevant experience dropped from 22 to 16. A lot of others who did the interview found the same thing had happened. Surely their relevant experience can't go down?

Now, it transpires that the man who got the job is related to someone who works in the county manager's office. His suitability to the job is tenuous at best, and he also happens to live near a local councillor.

So my question is, can the ombudsman investigate the whole process? The fact that it took five months is surely a disgrace and the cost of interviewing people would have been obscene.
    Last edited by politico123; 17th December 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by politico123 View Post

In the second interview, there were people attending who didn't do the first interview. My friend did not get the job and his relevant experience dropped from 22 to 16. A lot of others who did the interview found the same thing had happened. Surely their relevant experience can't go down?
    The first bit happens all the time. Internal applicants, people with standout CVs often skip the first level interviews (i.e the basic competence checks).

The second bit happens as well. Often when I'm interviewing I'll let others do the first level, then pick up the second myself. My scores may differ from others. Also if the points are being judged on a sliding scale then a small number of applicants could well see your score drop as more experienced applicants remain and lesser ones are moved out of contention.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sh1t happens in Local Authorities and the HSE.

The wider public sector gets the blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have the power to investigate maladministration.

https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/Publ...isdiction.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That would never happen.

Ireland, not a hope.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The first bit happens all the time. Internal applicants, people with standout CVs often skip the first level interviews (i.e the basic competence checks).

The second bit happens as well. Often when I'm interviewing I'll let others do the first level, then pick up the second myself. My scores may differ from others. Also if the points are being judged on a sliding scale then a small number of applicants could well see your score drop as more experienced applicants remain and lesser ones are moved out of contention.
    Yeah that's what I thought but when I heard who got it, it really didn't make sense. I'm not saying that my friend should have got the job but his relevant experience is way ahead of this guy's as was a few others I know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hi,

Friend of mine went for a job with the local authority. It took the council five months from the application deadline to fill the vacancy. This included two interviews, where they interviewed 120 people in the first round and only took it down to forty for the second. In the first interview he got his results of the interview and under relevant experience he got 22 out of 25.

Now, it transpires that the man who got the job is related to someone who works in the county secretary's office. His suitability to the job is tenuous at best, and he also happens to live near a local councillor.

So my question is, can the ombudsman investigate the whole process? The fact that it took five months is surely a disgrace and the cost of interviewing people would have been obscene.
    Having been an interviewer in the private and public sectors, in my experience, the selection process in the public sector is more stringent and transparent. There would have been an external interviewer and a HR representative both of whom would be there to ensure the process was fair and above board. That's not to say there can't be corruption, but I've never encountered it or heard of it.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

Now, it transpires that the man who got the job is related to someone who works in the county manager's office. His suitability to the job is tenuous at best, and he also happens to live near a local councillor.

I applied for a local authority post in the mid 1990s. It took them 12 months from the time they received the CV, to the first interview.

Nice to know that productivity has improved to such a considerable degree.

[by the way, I know of private sector organizations that approved candidates for a role, and who wasted so much time authorizing the budget, that the candidates had another job by the time they told them that they were hired].
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    Having been an interviewer in the private and public sectors, in my experience, the selection process in the public sector is more stringent and transparent. There would have been an external interviewer and a HR representative both of whom would be there to ensure the process was fair and above board. That's not to say there can't be corruption, but I've never encountered it or heard of it.
    I've a feeling your local authority may be a little more subtle than our own. It's basically a given that corruption will play a part. Not naming the local authority but this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've a feeling your local authority may be a little more subtle than our own. It's basically a given that corruption will play a part. Not naming the local authority but this is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Agreed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast