Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Surely Guaranteed Irish is nearly as racist as Irish Jobs for the Irish ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Surely Guaranteed Irish is nearly as racist as Irish Jobs for the Irish ?

I notice at this time of year an upticking in those exhorting me to abrogate my economic faculties and buy Irish goods and services. When I looked into it I can see the current government is a supporter:

Government minister supports the Guaranteed Irish initiative
    The Irish Times - Sat, Sep 10, 2011 - Is Guaranteed Irish still a good idea?
    FOR THE FIRST time in more than 20 years a senior Minister showed up at a press conference organised by the Guaranteed Irish organisation earlier this week. His presence was a sign of the times.

However it is asking to buy goods/services on the basis of nationality - surely that is a borderline/racist attitude ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    I notice at this time of year an upticking in those exhorting me to abrogate my economic faculties and buy Irish goods and services. When I looked into it I can see the current government is a supporter:

However it is asking to buy goods/services on the basis of nationality - surely that is a borderline/racist attitude ?

cYp
    Nationalism and racism are different things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Only if Guaranteed Irish was to mean 'Made in Ireland by Irish people', which it clearly doesn't.
    Mark Murray.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No it's not the same. Supporting a local economy is not the same as discriminating on the basis of skin pigmentation, nationality or religion. Irish companies have people of all types working for them. My own even employs a German!

Ramps

It's almost as irrational as racism...but not quite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its trying to help our economy. Nothing racist about it. You could have every race under the sun working in Ireland so long as its helping our economy its good. They don't have to be irish to help our economy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

German reliability? Racist as fnck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cYp
    What is anti republican is the apearance of the British Royal crest on certain goods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No it isn't. You're talking companies on the one hand and people on the other. I know that's hard for a libertarian such as yourself to comprehend but we do not afford the same rights and responsibilities to companies as we do to human beings and vice versa. Idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cYp
    Not at all. Your discriminating on the grounds of economics not race. The food or product that is Irish could easily have been produced or manufactured by a non Irish person living and working here.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast