Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Party Time for the Dept of Social Welfare Retirees

Default Party Time for the Dept of Social Welfare Retirees

Joan Burton's Department of Social Protection spent more than €5,000 on a lavish retired-staff party just weeks before she introduced swingeing welfare cuts, the Irish Mail on Sunday can reveal

Public money was even used to fund €1,000 worth of spot prizes for guests at the ‘retirement get-together’, which was hosted by department secretary general Niamh O’Donoghue

Joan Burton's team blew ¿5K on staff party: Social Protection used taxpayers¿ money to fund ¿get-together¿ for ex-colleagues | Mail Online

considering the generous retirement payments alot of these people are getting i wonder why they couldn't afford to pay for themselves rather then the tax payer?
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was touched on in a couple of threads yesterday.

I think it only fair and proper that the same "respect" be shown to all PS workers, don't you? In the large teaching hospital where I work, we "whip" round for those retiring and we've always paid for Christmas nights out etc. Funny though, I'm not sure James would be too keen to cough up for my "modest" event.

Spot prizes and wine and whiskey? €699.30 on posting invitations? Ever heard of de internet and e-mail?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member APettigrew92's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some Cancer patients now have to pay €75 for each Chemo session.

Welcome to the Welfare State, where only a percentage fare well and it's not exactly well fair for others.
    Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - Latin Proverb

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    Joan Burton's team blew ¿5K on staff party: Social Protection used taxpayers¿ money to fund ¿get-together¿ for ex-colleagues | Mail Online

considering the generous retirement payments alot of these people are getting i wonder why they couldn't afford to pay for themselves rather then the tax payer?
    But but but do you not realise that this money was spent in the local economy.

Keep focussing on items like this and miss the big ticket items like the €1200 million of taxpayers money used by AIB to bail out their
    DB pension fund!

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus... it's all a bit pathetic and tawdry this innit? going through the list of expenses with a fine tooth comb...

Then again, it is public money and it is symptomatic of how public money continues to be treated with contempt by the 'state' as we continue to borrow billions each year just to keep this kip going...

All public funding for these kinds of events/parties should have been abolished years ago... and should never be re-introduced...

If people want to wish their colleagues well then they should do it with their own money and not with OURS...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Did the private sector benefit to the tune of the €5,000 ?

i just think it shows the senior civil servants are oblivious to recession

i do think its a small issue, i don't think its a non-issue
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 17th December 2012 at 07:46 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It was a transfer of wealth from public sector to private sector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    It was a transfer of wealth from public sector to private sector.
    €700 was spent on postage - that's a transfer from public sector to public sector (unless they used a private courier company)
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1.2 billion into the AIB pension fund you say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast