Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taxi Drivers Turn Down Fare Increase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Taxi Drivers Turn Down Fare Increase

The National Transport Authority has recommended a 4% rise in fares (€1.03 to €1.10/Kilometer up to 15 Kilometers), with a drop in the standing charge from €4.10 to €3.60 upon getting into the car. Taxi drivers have rejected the proposals.

My back of the envelope calculations suggest this would have been a fare reduction for trips under 7KM, and a rise for those over 7KM.

Taxi fares to remain unchanged - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 17, 2012

What are people's thoughts on this? Are there simply too many taxi drivers and not enough customers? Would fares fall if drivers could compete on price like any other business? How could we ensure customers are not gouged?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Taxi drivers know their business 1 million times better than that regulator idiot.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am guessing tha tthe average fare is less than 7km, so I wouldn't be surprised they truned it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think there's way too many taxi drivers, the ranks in cork are alway full, and the drivers spend more time parked up than driving. More people will walk a extra mile now than pay for taxis, and its to do with less disposable income.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taxi drivers can compete on price, many taxi companies advertise discount prices to airport, online etc.

The fare set is a maximum fare. Nothing to stop anybody haggling about rates before the journey.
    "I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy just doesn't work". - Kent Brockman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    I think there's way too many taxi drivers, the ranks in cork are alway full, and the drivers spend more time parked up than driving. More people will walk a extra mile now than pay for taxis, and its to do with less disposable income.
    I dunno if you remember what it used to be like. Taxis were like gold dust at certain times. I much prefer it this way.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Dublin-Male-Hetero-ABFF but worried about FGLab
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My limited experience in a job similar to that line of work some decades ago is that it is either a feast or a famine. Either no one wants you or else they are going round frantic for a taxi. Peak times would be ca 19:00 when people want to get into town or the theater. then when the pubs close they want to get home. Othewise you can see for yourself all the taxi drivers in the ranks reading the paper at during the morning and afternoon. A rainy day is good for business too. My point? well the price of a taxi could skyrocket at peak times but drop off considerablly in off-peak times... it's not like a regular product such as cabbage or bowler hats.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I dunno if you remember what it used to be like. Taxis were like gold dust at certain times. I much prefer it this way.
    Yes but people cannot make a decent wage, that's the issue. As usual in Ireland it has gone from one extreme of hard to get a taxi to another extreme of too many taxis.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    There is as many as find it financially viable to do it. That is all that is important. As someone else observed, it has brought a much better deal for for consumers than the rigged market years ago that kept supply artifically low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Very true, but you have to have some sympathy for them. Imagine if the public sector could hire a tonne of immigrants in recent years bringing down the cost of the wages bill to the exchequer, would that be applauded with joy from PS workers?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast