Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122

Thread: Disgraceful Charges Mean We Have No Real Society Here?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Disgraceful Charges Mean We Have No Real Society Here?

    Apart from the attack on carers in the recent budget have a look at this Monday Newspaper Review - Irish Business News and International Stories - - December 17, 2012

    A charge being levied on cancer patients who have contributed to this so called society, but who have fallen through the net re medical cards and cannot afford health insurance. Add to this absurd charges for calling out an ambulance or the fire brigade! Imagine treating people who have contributed to our society in such a way in their hour of need! It's Unforgiveable!
    Yet, if you have never ever contributed i.e. paid tax on your labour, there is no charge! I exempt from that criticism people who are looking after children or sick relations, in genuine full time education, who are genuinely sick or disabled or who are in prison! If you were capable of working during the Celtic Tiger time and chose not to, when/where will you work and what do we owe you exactly?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Apart from the attack on carers in the recent budget have a look at this Monday Newspaper Review - Irish Business News and International Stories - - December 17, 2012

    A charge being levied on cancer patients who have contributed to this so called society, but who have fallen through the net re medical cards and cannot afford health insurance. Add to this absurd charges for calling out an ambulance or the fire brigade! Imagine treating people who have contributed to our society in such a way in their hour of need! It's Unforgiveable!
    Yet, if you have never ever contributed i.e. paid tax on your labour, there is no charge! I exempt from that criticism people who are looking after children or sick relations, in genuine full time education, who are genuinely sick or disabled or who are in prison! If you were capable of working during the Celtic Tiger time and chose not to, when/where will you work and what do we owe you exactly?
    A society is judged on how it takes care of those who can't take care of themselves. On this count we fail. How the so called socialists in Labour can stand by and watch these things happening is beyond my understanding.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member firefly123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Apart from the attack on carers in the recent budget have a look at this Monday Newspaper Review - Irish Business News and International Stories - - December 17, 2012

    A charge being levied on cancer patients who have contributed to this so called society, but who have fallen through the net re medical cards and cannot afford health insurance. Add to this absurd charges for calling out an ambulance or the fire brigade! Imagine treating people who have contributed to our society in such a way in their hour of need! It's Unforgiveable!
    Yet, if you have never ever contributed i.e. paid tax on your labour, there is no charge! I exempt from that criticism people who are looking after children or sick relations, in genuine full time education, who are genuinely sick or disabled or who are in prison! If you were capable of working during the Celtic Tiger time and chose not to, when/where will you work and what do we owe you exactly?
    Just to clarify..
    There is NO charge for emergency/999 ambulances (even if the VHI clinics sometimes try to stick it on the bill) and the charge for the fire service is to the premises not the Caller ( in other words don't be afraid to call something in if you are passing in the street). You can appeal the charge if your insurance does not cover it and you are not able to pay. This charge ain't ring fenced for the fire service by the way

    I believe the charge for cancer treatment was in place already but waived on most occasions. Also you receive the treatment regardless of payment but its still sucky.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    Apart from the attack on carers in the recent budget have a look at this Monday Newspaper Review - Irish Business News and International Stories - - December 17, 2012

    A charge being levied on cancer patients who have contributed to this so called society, but who have fallen through the net re medical cards and cannot afford health insurance. Add to this absurd charges for calling out an ambulance or the fire brigade! Imagine treating people who have contributed to our society in such a way in their hour of need! It's Unforgiveable!
    Yet, if you have never ever contributed i.e. paid tax on your labour, there is no charge! I exempt from that criticism people who are looking after children or sick relations, in genuine full time education, who are genuinely sick or disabled or who are in prison! If you were capable of working during the Celtic Tiger time and chose not to, when/where will you work and what do we owe you exactly?
    The 75 euro charge for day services is no new thing, and is the same as you would pay for any other day service. It's a fairly minimal contribution to the full cost of chemo. The disgraceful thing is the underhand way that this is being presented as if it were part of the budget cutbacks to try to get some public sympathy behind a move to abolish the charge. Those who want to do so should have been campaigning years ago, not piggybacking on the budget debate.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    A society is judged on how it takes care of those who can't take care of themselves. On this count we fail. How the so called socialists in Labour can stand by and watch these things happening is beyond my understanding.
    What did the last three FF administrations do to abolish this charge?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Bren Boru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Free stuff..!!!!!
    I want more free stuff..!!!!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Just to clarify..
    There is NO charge for emergency/999 ambulances (even if the VHI clinics sometimes try to stick it on the bill) and the charge for the fire service is to the premises not the Caller ( in other words don't be afraid to call something in if you are passing in the street). You can appeal the charge if your insurance does not cover it and you are not able to pay. This charge ain't ring fenced for the fire service by the way
    Thanks for that clarification, it needs to be made explicitly clear to the general public because the misconception of horrific charges in these matters does stop citizens rendering much needed assistance!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kildare, but really from Cork
    Posts
    8,084
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Jesus I never saw a charge, oh wait there was....

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member White Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    7,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    A society is judged on how it takes care of those who can't take care of themselves. On this count we fail. How the so called socialists in Labour can stand by and watch these things happening is beyond my understanding.
    How did you stand by and watch your party bankrupt this country?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bren Boru View Post
    Free stuff..!!!!!
    I want more free stuff..!!!!
    A person who has contributed through their labour and taxes is well entitled to essential treatment in their hour of need and why should they have to take second place to underclass rubbish at the bottom who have never contributed anything or the cleptomaniacs at the top of our society who have robbed them blind!

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •