Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get rid of 24/7 gardai protection of past Taoisigh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Time to get rid of 24/7 gardai protection of past Taoisigh

As you know past Taoisigh receive 24/7 gardai protection at their homes and when they move around the country. Ask yourself...is this really appropriate? I mean 24/7 protection on this scale for former US presidents is. Leader of the most powerful nation in the world, population of 300 million and bound to upset many people with vested interests but the leader of a small island nation with a population of 4 million? I don't think so. I can understand some protection for the first few years after they leave office but who right now would threaten a past taoiseach like Albert Reynolds, 80, or Liam Cosgrave, 92. I propose we either get rid of it completely or do what the US did. They ended lifetime protection for presidents after Clinton but gave 10 years state paid protection with the protection afterwards to be incurred by the former president. 5 years paid state protection would even be enough in this country. With the big pensions former taoisigh are getting, not to mention the fancy jobs some find themselves in, John Burton Chairman of IFSC Ireland, or Bertie Ahern doing his talks around the world at high prices, I think our former taoisigh can fund their own protection and not at the expense of the taxpayer.
    Last edited by RahenyFG; 17th December 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelt 'taoisigh' wrong originially
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say Ahern & Cowen need protection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    Sure nobody would fck them?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get rid of it. It is nonsensical.

I do not want to be paying for a garda who might prevent somebody trying to punch B.Ahern.

If a mortgage holder in the commuter belt feels the need to thump a dithering taoiseach from Drumcondra, then there should be nothing interfering with his "right" to do so
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    I would say they don't

Was Cowen not the best finance minister in Europe at one stage ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    As you know past Taoisign receive 24/7 gardai protection at their homes and when they move around the country. Ask yourself...is this really appropriate? I mean 24/7 protection on this scale for former US presidents is. Leader of the most powerful nation in the world, population of 300 million and bound to upset many people with vested interests but the leader of a small island nation with a population of 4 million? I don't think so. I can understand some protection for the first few years after they leave office but who right now would threaten a past taoiseach like Albert Reynolds, 80, or Liam Cosgrave, 92. I propose we either get rid of it completely or do what the US did. They ended lifetime protection for presidents after Clinton but gave 10 years state paid protection with the protection afterwards to be incurred by the former president. 5 years paid state protection would even be enough in this country. With the big pensions former taoisigh are getting, not to mention the fancy jobs some find themselves in, John Burton Chairman of IFSC Ireland, or Bertie Ahern doing his talks around the world at high prices, I think our former taoisigh can fund their own protection and not at the expense of the taxpayer.
    I stand to be corrected here but I understand that Liam Cosgrave has waived the 24/7 protection. On the other hand Jack Lynch's house in Rathgar had 24/7 "protection" long after Jack vacated the house, I think the protection continued while the house remained in the ownership of the Lynchs. It was a nice little earner for the Gardai.

I completely agree that it is nonsense for a bankrupt state to pay for protection for ex-taoisigh, any who feel that theyare need of protection (Bertie?, Cowan?) can pay for it themselves out of their inflated and undeserved pensions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I imagine the protection was thought appropriate when our friends in the north were more active than today.

But look at what has happened in sleepy and peaceful sweden. They now have armed protection when they previously thought it unnecessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I meant this article to be in the OP even if it is the moany Northside Peoplehttp://www.northsidepeople.ie/article.php?id=988&l=100

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is plenty of protection in Portlaoise for those needing protection. Until several former very high profile politicians are incarcerated under heavy security, this country is as dire as when the Quare Fella bumped into Napper Tandy in that Parisian bistro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    I stand to be corrected here but I understand that Liam Cosgrave has waived the 24/7 protection.
    Maybe it was waived since March but the article I posted was in March of this year and talks about Cosgrave's gardai protection.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast