Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Forensic Psychiatrist Calls A Spade A Spade With The Media -

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Forensic Psychiatrist Calls A Spade A Spade With The Media -

"If you don't want to propagate more mass murders, don't start the story with sirens blaring, don't have photographs of the killer, do't make this 24/7 coverage, do every thing you can to not make the body count the lead story, make it as boring as possible, becauxe every time we have intense saturation of a mass murder, we expect to have one or two more....

Thank God guns are illegal in Ireland, and by and large unavailable.. Considering all the hype about 'gangs' and 'guns' peddled by the Irish Media for the last 20-30 years.. A certain amount of responsibility must lie with those who created the 'urban myths'.. Something a lot of people should reflect on when they buy papers peddling storys about the 'Wild West' and 'Cowboys & Indians'.. Probably too little too late to call for a Boycott of the 'Rags'.. But if the Forensic Psychiatrist is indeed right.. Well then that would mean that everytime anyone buys a 'Rag' they are effectively indirectly responsible for someone somewhere pulling a trigger somewhere down the line.. I think the Forensic Psychiatrist here has shown how irresponsible some TV programmes are as well.. Love Hate for example, imho, glorified the gun culture, unlike it's American sister The Wire, which at least had some redeeming features, insofar as it sought to highlight the socio-economic conditions which breed 'gunslingers' in concrete jungles, it also showed the good cops and the social workers, along with the community activists fighting an almost unwinnable war against the corrupt system, which had the political class living on brown envelopes galore, etc. etc. Love Hate fell short in all of those departments.. Same way as the Rags fall short in calling a spade a spade..

"If you don't want to propagate more mass murders, don't start the story with sirens blaring, don't have photographs of the killer, do't make this 24/7 coverage, do every thing you can to not make the body count the lead story, make it as boring as possible, becauxe every time we have intense saturation of a mass murder, we expect to have one or two more....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A million watched that brain dead ************************e on TV last night.

Anyway reading the brain dead ************************e on these threads why should we be surprised.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We glorify Love/Hate and a million Hollywood blood fests. People sell guns and semi automatics because they are good earners,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mary_queen_of_the_gael View Post
    We glorify Love/Hate and a million Hollywood blood fests. People sell guns and semi automatics because they are good earners,
    The scary part about Love-Hate is the fact that some politicans have said it was based upon some sort of reality.. I suppose if you peddle a lie often enuff it will eventually become The Truth, so to speak.. I must confess I caught the tale end of it.. It'd be a different matter if it was scripted for private cinema.. State Broadcasters should be a bit more responsible, imho.. People could perhaps Boycott the Rag Mags if they want to do something P-P-Practical.. TG4 don't seem to need to peddle nonsense to.. They'd a brilliant film on the nite beforehand.. Cré Na Cille which is a comedy classic.. It's 'as gaeilge' but it's subtitled.. and that was dealing wit very dark themes in a Black Comedy fashion.. The English even managed to do that wit Shameless whilst dealing with urban madness.. Love-Hate failed on all counts.. Twas worse than Roddy ffs.. insofar as it was a wannabe Irish version of The Wire.. If you compare and contrast Shameless to Love-Hate, you begin to see how poor a script it truely is. Shameless has everthing that Love-Hate has, insofar as there's guns, drugs, sex and Irish 'gangstas'.. It's set in Moss Side, a run down council estate in Manchester.. but it was scripted by one of the natives who actually lives there.. Love-Hate on the otherhand was scripted by someone who just didn't 'get it' at any level.. As for the Rags, some people are easily amused.. Imho I tink that Shrink summed it up perfectly..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    A million watched that brain dead ************************e on TV last night.

Anyway reading the brain dead ************************e on these threads why should we be surprised.
    It's a sad thing to have to say but some people thrive on other peoples misery.. They feed off controversy.. I don't believe in Big Solutions.. I certainly don't have any.. But Imho, people should tink twice about buying the Rags that are peddling the Donald Duck cartoon character myths about 'gangland' etc. etc. Coz if their sales drop their 'creme de la creme' of 'criminal investigators' will have to focus a bit more on their subject matter..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbrugha View Post
    It's a sad thing to have to say but some people thrive on other peoples misery.. They feed off controversy.. I don't believe in Big Solutions.. I certainly don't have any.. But Imho, people should tink twice about buying the Rags that are peddling the Donald Duck cartoon character myths about 'gangland' etc. etc. Coz if their sales drop their 'creme de la creme' of 'criminal investigators' will have to focus a bit more on their subject matter..
    I watched Love/Hate in the end. The problem with such shows is the way they portray dangerous psychopaths.

Adolescent kids would idolise Darren, and even Nidge. In reality these would be 'what are you lookin' at?' lulas, rather than tortured half-saints like Darren.

Sure ban violent films, programs and video games too....... Let's not consider that these form of media can serve as Sublimation, where latent violence and propensity to harm can be consciously transformed and released through fantasy.

Sublimation (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other forms of sublimation are boxing, kick boxing and martial arts and to a lesser extent other forms of sport. Maybe we should encourage kids more to take these sports up?
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Sure ban violent films, programs and video games too....... Let's not consider that these form of media can serve as Sublimation, where latent violence and propensity to harm can be consciously transformed and released through fantasy.

Sublimation (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other forms of sublimation are boxing, kick boxing and martial arts and to a lesser extent other forms of sport. Maybe we should encourage kids more to take these sports up?
    Sports give kids discipline. Imo, every kid should be active in at least 1 sport outside school..I don't get the X-Box generation.. Pac-man & Space Invaders was as good as it got for my generation.. If you're unemployed buy your kid a football.. That'll keep them entertained for months.. I spoiled meself when I was a teen by playing footie, gah, hurlin' and doin' martial arts.. That's what kept me out of trouble most of the time..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leftsoc View Post
    I watched Love/Hate in the end. The problem with such shows is the way they portray dangerous psychopaths.

Adolescent kids would idolise Darren, and even Nidge. In reality these would be 'what are you lookin' at?' lulas, rather than tortured half-saints like Darren.
    I didn't idolise idiots like that when I was a teen.. But that's just me.. I tink what will 'revolutionize' 'gangland' are grassroots community initiatives.. It'll be a bottom-up solution....It'll won't ever come from within the 'Political Class'.. It's only when communitys actually take ownership of their own problems..

For example..

Citizens Free Press.."City-Wide Family Support Network is taking part in a pilot project, will try to create an index of our drug-related deaths." ...  

There's an inner-city grassroots initaitive which will 'revolutionize' the 'drugs problem'.. Once that 'idea' takes off in each area and an index of the deaths resulting from addiction is created, on top of an index of the deaths resulting from suicide in the same areas, we'll have a much clearer understanding of 'gangland' as some people like to term it..

Politics.ie Member friendlyfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just finishing the first series of The Wire it is very good and very real.When I lived in the States we worked in the projects around the city and it is depressing what you see the inequality,poverty and the living conditions it is a shame on American society when it's inner cities are in such a mess.You have two America's the real one and the make believe one.... it has been tearing itself apart for a long time.

What happened at the weekend was Unbelievable and a tragedy but will we hear the full story because if this had happened in the projects the media would have all the experts making out it was only a matter of time that a massacre like this happened.When it happens in 'Middle America' they will need to look at their society and get answers quick because sadly The land of The free is descending into the apocalypse.
    Stupidity is far more fascinating than intelligence, after all intelligence has it's limits.