Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 541

Thread: The Twelve Pubs Of Christmas.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    16,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default The Twelve Pubs Of Christmas.

    OK,this is my first thread start so you'll have to forgive me if I make a tool of myself.

    It would seem that we Irish don't have enough reasons to get locked out of our Christmas Tree, that we have to partake in this ritual which seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year.

    I was working Saturday night doing security at a pub which I do most Saturday nights.The difference with this weekend was that there were a number of groups wandering around the town partaking in this so called drinking game The Twelve Pubs of Christmas.

    Im well used to drunks and drunken behavior but I was truly taken aback at the drunken loutish behavior I witnessed on Saturday night. At 9pm everybody seemed to be meelogen drunk and we had a few heated exchanges with some groups as we refused them entry .


    I don't know who invented this game or where it originated but as a man who loves his pint of stout I would never partake in such a drinking game where the only outcome is that everybody seems to be comatosed by 10pm.

    I don't know how a pub can benefit from such behavior or how the customer who is involved in such drinking game can benefit from it.


    Have any of you guys taken part in one of these nights out and lived to tell the tale.?


    the 12 pubs of christmas
    Gemakzucht.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member jo9jo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    OK,this is my first thread start so you'll have to forgive me if I make a tool of myself.

    It would seem that we Irish don't have enough reasons to get locked out of our Christmas Tree, that we have to partake in this ritual which seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year.

    I was working Saturday night doing security at a pub which I do most Saturday nights.The difference with this weekend was that there were a number of groups wandering around the town partaking in this so called drinking game The Twelve Pubs of Christmas.

    Im well used to drunks and drunken behavior but I was truly taken aback at the drunken loutish behavior I witnessed on Saturday night. At 9pm everybody seemed to be meelogen drunk and we had a few heated exchanges with some groups as we refused them entry .


    I don't know who invented this game or where it originated but as a man who loves his pint of stout I would never partake in such a drinking game where the only outcome is that everybody seems to be comatosed by 10pm.

    I don't know how a pub can benefit from such behavior or how the customer who is involved in such drinking game can benefit from it.


    Have any of you guys taken part in one of these nights out and lived to tell the tale.?


    the 12 pubs of christmas
    First of all congrats on your first thread !

    Disgraceful behavior - it probably depends on what kind of pub they go into.
    If it is an auld mans pub where the auld fellas are sitting at the bar nursing a pint of Guinness then I think they would not be welcome in such an establishment.
    However, in urban areas I guess the trendy pubs would favor such carry on.
    I can imagine how badly pulled the Guinness would be - it would be drawn like a lager.

    In my town it would not be possible to play the 12 pubs of Christmas as we do not have 12 pubs and people like to have a quiet pint with other civilized people.

    I do not approve of it.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member MacO'velli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo9jo View Post
    First of all congrats on your first thread !

    Disgraceful behavior - it probably depends on what kind of pub they go into.
    If it is an auld mans pub where the auld fellas are sitting at the bar nursing a pint of Guinness then I think they would not be welcome in such an establishment.
    However, in urban areas I guess the trendy pubs would favor such carry on.
    I can imagine how badly pulled the Guinness would be - it would be drawn like a lager.

    In my town it would not be possible to play the 12 pubs of Christmas as we do not have 12 pubs and people like to have a quiet pint with other civilized people.

    I do not approve of it.
    Ah Jaysis Jo9jo, if ye had six pubs then ye could skull 2 pints in each pub, or if ye had three pubs, ye could skull 4 scoops in each wan.Have ye no imagination in ballydull at all at all?? shurin' wouldn't th'oul' lads love ta see them lads comin' through the door?? what an all the mini skirted young wan's in tow?
    In anyways, think of the local economy and the impact these would have on the local economy and vintners association comin' up to christmas? and them biys id be down in the chipper later as well spendin' th'oul' hard earned pat cash on schnac boxes an' spice burgers and tubs a curry sauce??
    Wake up man !! wheres yer on-trey-pren-oooorial shpirit????

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't do that anymore, though my mates and I has a 12 spliffs of Christmas thing, which was lubricated by a nice mix of Barolo, Fleurie, and Chateauneuf du Pape. Much better than staggering around town and probably better value over all.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Lighten up people. I've done manys a 12 pubs and nobody in my group has ever been uncivilised or engaged in 'angry words'. Don't judge other people by your own low standards.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Asparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacO'velli View Post
    Ah Jaysis Jo9jo, if ye had six pubs then ye could skull 2 pints in each pub, or if ye had three pubs, ye could skull 4 scoops in each wan.Have ye no imagination in ballydull at all at all?? shurin' wouldn't th'oul' lads love ta see them lads comin' through the door?? what an all the mini skirted young wan's in tow?
    In anyways, think of the local economy and the impact these would have on the local economy and vintners association comin' up to christmas? and them biys id be down in the chipper later as well spendin' th'oul' hard earned pat cash on schnac boxes an' spice burgers and tubs a curry sauce??
    Wake up man !! wheres yer on-trey-pren-oooorial shpirit????
    Did Enda Kenny not promise 12 pubs for every town in Ireland?
    Its disgraceful that Paddy (who likes to know whats going on) has to recycle pubs in such a manner.

    Of course nobody can afford 12 pints these days - maybe we should have a "5 point plan of christmas" or a "Guinness for taoiseach christmas"
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,004
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    William Hague used to do the 57 pubs of Christmas. Honestly...
    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    All of these 'rules', getting horrendified drunk and parting with €200 are the very last things I want when I go out for a pint at Christmas. I just want to relax in the corner with a Guinness and chat to my friends. Rushing through pints, getting pissed and running out the door to another pub every 30 minutes? I fail to see the point and it seems like something 17-year olds would do.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Johnnybaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,752
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The twelve pubs is easy enough to find, the 5 gold hens on the other hand.... Jesus wept!

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    In city centre on Saturday night - fair amount of sloppy and slightly aggressive groups staggering around as early as 7.00. A bit like a convention of stag and hen parties.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •