Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1059

Thread: Have you changed religion? If so, why and to which other religion or none at all?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Have you changed religion? If so, why and to which other religion or none at all?

    Census returns still show a high degree of nominal association with organised religion. But a number of people are shifting between religions or from religions to agnoticism or athiesm. So the question is simple: have you moved, and if so why?

    And finally a no doubt futile request: could this thread actually discuss personal changes in attitudes and not descend into the usual name-calling and attacking of people's religious beliefs or lack thereof.

    As for me, I was brought up Catholic, from a very religious background. In my teenage years I considered a life in the Church and spent a short time meeting the Salesians in their house in Maynooth.

    I have long since lost a religious faith and no longer go to Mass or the sacraments. I lost belief and trust first in the institutional church and then in religion in general. I still enjoy some of the rituals - particularly of the pre-Vatican II variety, like the Latin Mass and pre-Vatican II church music. That may be because my earliest years coincided with the last days of pre-Vatican II liturgies and the hymns I learnt were in Latin. I find them interesting and in a hazy way spiritual but don't feel any religious feelings towards them. Even when religious I found post-Vatican II ceremonial and music stale and dull. Quite a few non-religious people still do like the 'smells and bells' ritual of the Tridentine Mass interesting, as indeed they do the use of the old Book of Common Prayer in the Anglican tradition. It may be just the sense of tradition.

    I simply cannot reconcile fundamental presumptions in religion with rationality.

    I respect those who still have religious beliefs but find the arrogance of some of them off-putting. But I find the arrogance of the Richard Dawkins sickening - he strikes me as a kind of secular Rev Ian Paisley.

    That is where I stand. What are your opinions?

  2. #2
    MrFunkyBoogaloo
    Guest

    Default

    Was raised catholic. Abandoned religion at around 12/13. Tried to officially defect a few years ago and cannot. I'm on a list apparently.

    I'm an agnostic, bordering on atheist. I reject all religious dogma and/or beliefs.

  3. #3

    Default

    I try to live my life in a way that is consistent with the basic message of Christianity (and other religions, I imagine). However, I do this not out of a deference to a higher power, rather I do this because these are values instilled in me by my parents. Do onto others, etc..

    That said, I do enjoy a trip to mass on Christmas Eve (to the annoyance of regulars, I imagine).

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Census returns still show a high degree of nominal association with organised religion. But a number of people are shifting between religions or from religions to agnoticism or athiesm. So the question is simple: have you moved, and if so why?

    And finally a no doubt futile request: could this thread actually discuss personal changes in attitudes and not descend into the usual name-calling and attacking of people's religious beliefs or lack thereof.

    As for me, I was brought up Catholic, from a very religious background. In my teenage years I considered a life in the Church and spent a short time meeting the Salesians in their house in Maynooth.

    I have long since lost a religious faith and no longer go to Mass or the sacraments. I lost belief and trust first in the institutional church and then in religion in general. I still enjoy some of the rituals - particularly of the pre-Vatican II variety, like the Latin Mass and pre-Vatican II church music. That may be because my earliest years coincided with the last days of pre-Vatican II liturgies and the hymns I learnt were in Latin. I find them interesting and in a hazy way spiritual but don't feel any religious feelings towards them. Even when religious I found post-Vatican II ceremonial and music stale and dull. Quite a few non-religious people still do like the 'smells and bells' ritual of the Tridentine Mass interesting, as indeed they do the use of the old Book of Common Prayer in the Anglican tradition. It may be just the sense of tradition.

    I simply cannot reconcile fundamental presumptions in religion with rationality.

    I respect those who still have religious beliefs but find the arrogance of some of them off-putting. But I find the arrogance of the Richard Dawkins sickening - he strikes me as a kind of secular Rev Ian Paisley.

    That is where I stand. What are your opinions?
    There are, and always have been, a continuous stream of threads on P.ie on the questions of theism and atheism. Did you miss them?

    Did you really miss the Dawkins thread?

    You sound like a new outty to me. Relieved yet majorly pissed off. Typical of your generation.
    Redacted.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19,031
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Was raised typically novus ordo Catholic. In recent years have grown more and more attached to the Tridentine rite (so long as it is Diocesan, none of the SSPX extremism at all), beginning to appreciate the scale of the loss to us liturgically as a result of the post 2VC 'innovations'. Nonetheless still happy to attend Mass in the ordinary form. Will die a practising Catholic.

    Happy Gaudete Sunday...

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Was raised typically novus ordo Catholic. In recent years have grown more and more attached to the Tridentine rite (so long as it is Diocesan, none of the SSPX extremism at all), beginning to appreciate the scale of the loss to us liturgically as a result of the post 2VC 'innovations'. Nonetheless still happy to attend Mass in the ordinary form. Will die a practising Catholic.
    How can you say that when you're only thirty something? That's fcked up Toxic.
    Redacted.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    How can you say that when you're only thirty something? That's fcked up Toxic.
    Quit trying to pick fights and let people express their opinions without attack.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    12,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Was raised typically novus ordo Catholic. In recent years have grown more and more attached to the Tridentine rite (so long as it is Diocesan, none of the SSPX extremism at all), beginning to appreciate the scale of the loss to us liturgically as a result of the post 2VC 'innovations'. Nonetheless still happy to attend Mass in the ordinary form. Will die a practising Catholic.

    Happy Gaudete Sunday...
    What is the attendance at Tridentine rite ceremonies? I am curious. Are they growing?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Quit trying to pick fights and let people express their opinions without attack.
    It's not attack. It's observation.
    Redacted.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Catholic raised and educated and became atheist just before the scandals broke around the Church.
    It wasn't a protest against anything and I'd had only positive experiences in my dealings with churchmen. But, I don't have any belief in the existence of supernatural beings or powers, which is one of the less optional bits of religious faith.

Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •