Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The best degrees to have for finding employment

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default The best degrees to have for finding employment

This slideshow shows the top 10 degrees for getting a job. There are some surprises:

no engineering degrees in the top ten
    language degrees are in the top 10 (no. 7)
    no IT in the top ten

So consider these fields of study if you are about to embark on a uni degree, or do a second degree:
    Graduate jobs: Top 10 degree subjects for getting a job - Telegraph
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, but what do Historical & philosophical studies (No.8) graduates do when they complete their studies? It would be nice to see the breakdown of the types of careers each group is involved in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The important part is found work or went onto further studies.

Professional students don't count.

For anything.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Science is a great option and do a Masters also: many doors to open afterwards.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecoise View Post
    Yes, but what do Historical & philosophical studies (No.8) graduates do when they complete their studies? It would be nice to see the breakdown of the types of careers each group is involved in.
    TS Eliot worked as merchant banker in the City; the author of The Wind in the Willows was the head of the Bank of England.

There are lots of areas for a history and philosophy graduate.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems is based in uk. But I can't understand why history, law and lanauage is up there since most of them in uk who have those types of degrees are unemployed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My undergrad is in the Liberal Arts...got myself an entry level job then continued to study while working (to pay for my fees). Finished by Msc last Christmas. Since got a new job (very good pay and conditions). Actually very surprised how often my Arts background came up in interviews (history and philosophy). My problem solving ability is good by all accounts!

Guess what I am saying is be prepared to enter a profession/career at entry level no matter your background and just work hard (put you money where you mouth is if need be)
    All great truths start as blasphemies

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso12 View Post
    Seems is based in uk. But I can't understand why history, law and lanauage is up there since most of them in uk who have those types of degrees are unemployed
    Where do you get your stats to say that most history, law and language graduates are unemployed?

The Telegraph's figures are based on data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency
    The subjects on this list have been ranked using data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency.

Rankings are according to the number of respondents who say they are in work or further education within six months of graduation as a percentage out of all those who are either in or seeking work or further education. It does not include students who declared themselves to be "not available for employment". For the full data visit the HESA website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how many of the historical and philosophy students went on to ''further studies" when they couldn't find a job? Could be a very large number. Say 50% got jobs and 40% did an MA or a conversion course to something with better employment prospects. That gets us to 90%.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These statistics are relevant for Britain.

Law makes it to number 3 in Britain. In Ireland we have too many qualified lawyers, and too many legal graduates. A certain element of it is is snobbery permeating into teenagers from older relatives. Teaching has a 95% fill rate within 6 months of graduation. This is not the case here in IMF-land.

The main difference between here and the UK would be with respect to Computer Science, electronic engineering, and manufacturing engineering. Perhaps also accountancy/banking/finance would be in more demand here, because in Ireland employers are less likely to hire people because they went to a brand name university, and more interested in the knowledge base.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast