Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailing out the Irish Times?

simeongrimes

Default Bailing out the Irish Times?

If we had to choose between letting a well regarded newspaper go to the wall or giving it a public subsidy the answer should be fairly obvious. Public money would turn the paper into something else, a creature of the government.

But the last paragraph of Paul Gillespe's piece today is an indication that papers on the public tit is something that may be contemplated

Coming to terms with Google's power - The Irish Times - Sat, Dec 15, 2012

But a tax to help fund the public good of costly reportage has a wider appeal. Like the Tobin tax on financial transactions, it could create a new revenue stream capable of having broad oversight kept at an armís length from the state and making the news aggregators more accountable.
    If I can read the IT online for free then I'm not going to buy it. That's their problem and the solution is to stop giving it away online. But if it became publicly funded I would've even read it for free. It would be utterly compromised. Sometimes there can be an upside to living in a state that is broke. Some of the wilder ideas for spending public money can't get off the ground.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    If we had to choose between letting a well regarded newspaper go to the wall or giving it a public subsidy the answer should be fairly obvious. Public money would turn the paper into something else, a creature of the government.
    If it is a decision about letting the IT go to the wall, then based on its cheerleading of the DotCom bubble and the Property Bubble, there is only one response: ****************************** it!

Good reportage? Reheated waffle, clueless lifestyle "journalism" and opinion masquerading as fact is not reportage.
    Last edited by jmcc; 15th December 2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're already paying that money. It's called the TV licence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes a publicly-funded Jurassic Park of media entities is a brilliant idea. Absolutely brilliant.
    This sig would be more impressive in Latin.

Dylan2010

I cant wait for that rag to go the way of the horse and buggy. It does go to explain why they never give RTE a hard time over the licence fee, they want a part of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This thread is just going to ruin Analyzer's day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crying for the Irish Times? Shill-in-Chief of the property bubble? Better break out the onions.

Going the way of the Typewriter, going gone

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let it die, though it would be appropriate for modern day Ireland to have state subsidised advertisements for the British army

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"the public good of costly reportage".

I will remember that next time I see an IBEC or ISME press release basically copied and pasted into an Irish newspaper and called a news article.
    This sig would be more impressive in Latin.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast