Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCallister's speech to Conservative Party 14/12/12

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default John McCallister's speech to Conservative Party 14/12/12

Tweeted by Alex Kane who attended the by John McCallister speech to the Strangford Conservative Association:

• What has been missing in the current controversies is the voices of moderate, civic nationalism and moderate, civic unionism.
    • We have caught a depressing glimpse of where we are led by 'nationalist unity' and 'unionist unity'
    • Unionism cannot allow itself to be defined by pursuit of tribal politics. It betrays very values which stand at the heart of the Union.
    • How did we reach a point in 2012 when - before Christmas - our society again experienced violent protests, threats, and sectarian division 5/5

Alex.Kane ‏@AlexKane221b

Comment: Mike Nesbitt claims to have cleared this speech and its contents, but it seems critical of his leadership and of unionist unity which Nesbitt has been following to some extent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There remain deep strains of thought within the DUP opposed to pluralism and too comfortable with tribal politics." John McCallister

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alex Kane's a fek'n eejit sorry.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*Checks pockets* Nope, no fukk's here that I could give. It'll check in my sock drawer and get back to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by factual View Post
    Tweeted by Alex Kane who attended the by John McCallister speech to the Strangford Conservative Association:

• What has been missing in the current controversies is the voices of moderate, civic nationalism and moderate, civic unionism.
    • We have caught a depressing glimpse of where we are led by 'nationalist unity' and 'unionist unity'
    • Unionism cannot allow itself to be defined by pursuit of tribal politics. It betrays very values which stand at the heart of the Union.
    • How did we reach a point in 2012 when - before Christmas - our society again experienced violent protests, threats, and sectarian division 5/5

Alex.Kane ‏@AlexKane221b

Comment: Mike Nesbitt claims to have cleared this speech and its contents, but it seems critical of his leadership and of unionist unity which Nesbitt has been following to some extent.
    Sounds progressive to me. Maybe a bit more of that on all sides would work wonders and help to move back from the dangerous situation in the North at the moment. If there was less public gloating by SF supporters and a bit of an olive branch offered it would compliment these opinions. Can it do any harm?
    Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

Castle Ray

McCallister may not be the most articulate Politicians in NI but one of the most honest, straight-talking and personable Politicians. He is right of centre and pro-Union and clearly out of step with the UUP as Unionism does not define him but practical and common sense policies that effect real lives and seek to improve the wellbeing of all in NI do.

I think Nesbitt has given up on McCrea and McCallister who will leave the UUP in 2013. I predict they'll go independent and then prior to the next elections will join Alliance or the NI Conservatives. McCallister is more of a Tory, McCrea more Alliance imho. It's hard to know which they'll go to.

Btw, my understanding was that Kane was not at that meeting but I think the speech was distributed to some within UUP including Nesbitt as well as some commentators and also possibly politicians in different parties. Either that or it's an open source speech.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by The Herren View Post
    Can it do any harm?
    Olive branches from SF cannot lead to anything. They are only offered when there is no chance of success. It's only done for the optics. SF don't want too much dealing with the likes of McCallister and they prefer to pick fights with more extreme elements. Keeps their electorate angry and interested you see. Like the DUP, SF benefits from sectarian Politics.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    McCallister may not be the most articulate Politicians in NI but one of the most honest, straight-talking and personable Politicians. He is right of centre and pro-Union and clearly out of step with the UUP as Unionism does not define him but practical and common sense policies that effect real lives and seek to improve the wellbeing of all in NI do.

I think Nesbitt has given up on McCrea and McCallister who will leave the UUP in 2013. I predict they'll go independent and then prior to the next elections will join Alliance or the NI Conservatives. McCallister is more of a Tory, McCrea more Alliance imho. It's hard to know which they'll go to.

Btw, my understanding was that Kane was not at that meeting but I think the speech was distributed to some within UUP including Nesbitt as well as some commentators and also possibly politicians in different parties. Either that or it's an open source speech.
    John McAllister and Basil McCrea will join the Aliance Party very very soon

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by CregganDerry View Post
    John McAllister and Basil McCrea will join the Aliance Party very very soon
    McCallister's speech put some distance between him and Alliance. Might be a ruse but at this stage I wouldn't think McCallister was a cert for Alliance at all. He might, but I wouldn't be betting on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast