Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Charles Bianconi and the transport revolution

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Charles Bianconi and the transport revolution

Interesting article here on Charles Bianconi, an Italian immigrant who from the 1820s set up a revolutionary new system of cheap transport via horse drawn coaches.

Charles Bianconi and The Transport Revolution, 1800

What I particularly like is the way he adapted to the coming of railways - he didn't compete with them on the main routes but set up new routes perpendicular to the rail lines linking different services. And when he died he left his business to his employees apparently.

Politics.ie Member
    Blueshirts Hill / Ballybricken Waterford City.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that but this bit is surely wrong distance wise? "The trip on the meandering River Suir was 24 miles, twice the overland distance, and the river being tidal, the timing of the trips was dictated by the tides. It was at this point that the germ of an idea, planted during his days of humping his wares around on his back, began to take root. “It grew out of my back!” he would joke in later years when asked about how he thought of the idea for his car service. (Commonly in 1800 the word ‘car’ was used to denote a small horse drawn passenger conveyance)."
    Last edited by DanBreen; 14th December 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanBreen View Post
    Thanks for that but this bit is surely wrong distance wise? "The trip on the meandering River Suir was 24 miles, twice the overland distance, and the river being tidal, the timing of the trips was dictated by the tides. It was at this point that the germ of an idea, planted during his days of humping his wares around on his back, began to take root. “It grew out of my back!” he would joke in later years when asked about how he thought of the idea for his car service. (Commonly in 1800 the word ‘car’ was used to denote a small horse drawn passenger conveyance)."
    Mmm well if the author says it was twice the distance by river as by overland then 24 miles (c 38km) v 12 miles (c19km) doesn't look too far off to me based on this https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CC4Q-A8wAA But I don't really know personally.

Politics.ie Member Roman Emperor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD66 View Post
    Mmm well if the author says it was twice the distance by river as by overland then 24 miles (c 38km) v 12 miles (c19km) doesn't look too far off to me based on this https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CC4Q-A8wAA But I don't really know personally.
    I'd say the Suir from Carrick to Waterford is around 18 miles.

Bianconi and his family are buried in a chapel beside the parish church in Boherlahan.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it true that he kept to timetable better tha Iarnroid Eireann ?

Progress is just, isn't it ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the English newspapermen sent to Mayo in 1879-80 to cover the Land War wrote that a fully occupied Bianconi car, with six legs hanging out to either side, looked like a crab on wheels.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was a great innovator.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

If he were alive in the Ireland of today

- he'd just be spinning wheels......