Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan - national Election soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Japan - national Election soon

This Sunday 16th December is Japan's national election.

I can't see a thread on it yet.

I don't follow Japan's politics all that closely but it is mentioned a bit in the Economist which I often read.

As a background there was a big upset in 2009 when the opposition DPJ (Democratic Party of Japan) beat the ruling LDP (Liberal Democratic Party) who were more or less in unbroken power for 50 years.

Things don't seem to have gone well for them and they've called an early election - the LDP looks set to return to power again.

However there seem to be some right-wing breakaway parties who might make significant gains.

They seem to be a lot more beligerent about relations with China, in particular their disputed islands.

Nuclear power and a sales tax are also issues.

Anyone know anything about Japan have anything to add?

It seems a real shame that the established party finally got a defeated and the new ones turned out to be unable to do much better.

BBC News - Japan set for general election
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

My knowledge of Japan is also fairly sketchy, but the LDP are basically the Japanese Fianna Fáil, governing continuously for 54 years, and operating as a "catch-all" party, split into various factions, similar to the Italian right. The various PMs serve brief terms, as they're invariably either found guilty of corruption, or subject to in-house coups. The centre-left Democrats were supposed to be the new broom sweeping clean, but their handling of Fukushima was widely panned, and have been subject to the same dirty politics allegations as their predecessors. All in all, it looks set to prove a very fractured Diet.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    My knowledge of Japan is also fairly sketchy, but the LDP are basically the Japanese Fianna Fáil, governing continuously for 54 years, and operating as a "catch-all" party, split into various factions, similar to the Italian right. The various PMs serve brief terms, as they're invariably either found guilty of corruption, or subject to in-house coups. The centre-left Democrats were supposed to be the new broom sweeping clean, but their handling of Fukushima was widely panned, and have been subject to the same dirty politics allegations as their predecessors. All in all, it looks set to prove a very fractured Diet.
    LOL yes the similarity to Fianna Fail did occur to me, since they do seem to be pretty much the default option for a long time - and their main ideology does seem rather flexible and be mainly about staying in power.

After all they must have skillfully been very populist over very changing times for 50 years to have clung to power for so long.

It seems sad that Japan finally got a fresh alternative in 2009 and they havent done very well - but then perhaps people expected too much. A lot to change after 50 years and I'd say it would be very difficult for any new party to make a big difference early - no experience of government even for their oldest politicians, and the civil service presumably would have had a pretty cosy relationship with the LDP after 50 years of near-uninterrupted power.

Of course the DPJ got elected at a difficult time for the world economy too - perhaps people expected too much?

Or did they feel the DPJ just behaved in the same way as the LDP and didn't really change anything - similar to the accusations against FG/Labour?
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post

I don't follow Japan's politics all that closely but it is mentioned a bit in the Economist which I often read.

As a background there was a big upset in 2009 when the opposition DPJ (Democratic Party of Japan) beat the ruling LDP (Liberal Democratic Party) who were more or less in unbroken power for 50 years.

Things don't seem to have gone well for them and they've called an early election - the LDP looks set to return to power again.

However there seem to be some right-wing breakaway parties who might make significant gains.

They seem to be a lot more beligerent about relations with China, in particular their disputed islands.

It seems a real shame that the established party finally got a defeated and the new ones turned out to be unable to do much better.

A good and Timely OP. my knowledge is severely limited on the subject of Japanese politics. However I do recommend the film Ikiru (made six years after hiroshima and WW2) by Kurosawa, now one of my all time favourite movies, it depicts a crushing, relentless bureaucracy greased by the hidden hand of corruption in 1950s Japan, as viewed by a dying, newly recalcitrant bureaucrat .

Ikiru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ikiru (1952) - YouTube

Takashi Shimura- Gondola No Uta (Ikiru) - YouTube
    Are we a nation, or are we just an economy in thrall to international private banking?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They have been dogged by lack of confidence for years. This is starting to change.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post

LDP have won a majority - new government to be formed soon.
    Exit polls: Conservative LDP wins Japan election - Asia - World - The Independent

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knowledge of japanese politics also sketchy, but I know from speaking to people at JAXA and other Japanese agencies that the future of several scientific projects (space-based solar power, for one) could hinge on the outcome.

In that sense, the Japanese elections affects us all... when a Japanese politician waves his arms, surf's up off the Kerry coast.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't matter who they elect, the politicians have taken control of the BoJ, which is akin to giving an alco the keys to pub,

Japan's going down, only a matter of time,

TORA TORA TORA, and so forth

Politics.ie Member Frank Galton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Japan -- LDP back.
    Mexico -- PRI back.

Ireland?
    The Daily Mail -- the world's biggest cut-and-paste operation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Galton View Post
    Japan -- LDP back.
    Mexico -- PRI back.

Ireland -- back to front

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast