Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defamation of a corporate body is an offence-did you know and are you happy ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Defamation of a corporate body is an offence-did you know and are you happy ?

The Defamation Act of 2009 in Ireland is a significant piece of legislation, it governs much of what goes on in the media (including here).

Were posters aware that it gives protection to corporate bodies ?
    Defamation Act 2009
    Defamation of a body corporate.

12.— The provisions of this Act apply to a body corporate as they apply to a natural person, and a body corporate may bring a defamation action under this Act in respect of a statement concerning it that it claims is defamatory whether or not it has incurred or is likely to incur financial loss as a result of the publication of that statement.
    So this means government quangos, companies etc can sue

What do you think of the implications of this and do you agree with them ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on implementaton. There needs to be something that protects Food company 'A' say from unfounded acquisitions from a competitor that there is pig manure in their product, but being Ireland it will probably be used to stifle criticism of the HSE for example. Unfortunatley we can't rely on the Irish Political and Legal cartel to put rights of freedom of speech of the individual ahead of vested interests.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    The Defamation Act of 2009 in Ireland is a significant piece of legislation, it governs much of what goes on in the media (including here).

Were posters aware that it gives protection to corporate bodies ?
    Defamation Act 2009

What do you think of the implications of this and do you agree with them ?

cYp
    Another draconian piece of legislation giving our country and our lives over to corporations.

Afaik, this legislation is right now being used against some posters on boredsdotie.

I have a good idea where law this originated and the corporation behind it.
    Which corporation has received very bad publicity from members of the public in the last 10 years or so?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another stupid law that needs to binned.

Do we want to see the entire country can be sued at this stage for giving out about Anglo Banglo, FAWSSS, Pravda, the HSE, etc....

An extremely stupid law. The creation of Lendahand, I understand.

Financial slavery was not enough. He had to have us silenced from free use of speech also.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not an offence which implies it's a crime.

It just means that if you defame a corporation that they can sue. This has always been the case, the 2009 Act just codified it.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Yeah but the problem with the quangos and the state/semi state sector generally is that whenever they're laid bare the reality is often much worse than anyone would ever have predicted or thought possible...

Personally I think the electorate should be able to sue the state for failing in so many areas...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Another stupid law that needs to binned.

Do we want to see the entire country can be sued at this stage for giving out about Anglo Banglo, FAWSSS, Pravda, the HSE, etc....

An extremely stupid law. The creation of Lendahand, I understand.

Financial slavery was not enough. He had to have us silenced from free use of speech also.
    FF have ticked all the boxes when it came to selling out Ireland and this law suits a corporation that it was very chummy with. (Oops! Have I now defamed a body corporate?)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    FF have ticked all the boxes when it came to selling out Ireland and this law suits a corporation that it was very chummy with. (Oops! Have I now defamed a body corporate?)
    No. It's only defamation if it's untrue.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    Well....FFinished could decide that they wanted to sue you...because your comments are in contradiction to their "right" (always a very dangerous word because of it's total nature) to "good name, and character".

Hilarious really.

Another reason why this law, and the rest of Irish defamation law should be binned.

Irish Defamation Law is a gombeen's charter to sue people who tell the truth.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast