Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK government tentatively start to admit failure of multiculturism

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK government tentatively start to admit failure of multiculturism

Well well, the obvious has become to obvious to try hide from anymore. Among admissions of segregation and language difficulties, Miliband accepts they got it wrong on immigration. Of course he goes on to say how proud he is of the multi-enthic make up of British society. Of course he doesnt want to offend, so goes on to say rubbish like...."We are stronger for it - and I love Britain for it. It gives us access to new ideas, new perspectives, new energies,". But thats just a glib statement which means nothing.......as if he could of said some concrete possitives on large scale immigration.............he surely would have used them?
    He has lots of negatives to draw on of course, but decides to go easy on himself by barely scratching the surface by admitting.....""But at the same time we know there is anxiety about immigration and what it means for our culture. The answer is not to sweep it under the carpet.In part, that means rejecting the idea that people can "live side by side in their own communities, respecting each other but living separate lives, protected from hatreds but never building a common bond - never learning to appreciate one another", he explains.

BBC News - Miliband: Too little done to integrate UK society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not quite sure how you managed to read "failure of multiculturalism" into that. Care to elaborate? I ask because it quite explicitly reads as "integration is needed too" to me, which is something I would have thought a 5 year old could tell you.
    If they come to ethnically cleanse me, Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
    Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright, Trampled underfoot by the rise of the right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

David Cameron was saying this nearly two years ago.

BBC News - State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fuque View Post
    Well well, the obvious has become to obvious to try hide from anymore. Among admissions of segregation and language difficulties, Miliband accepts they got it wrong on immigration. Of course he goes on to say how proud he is of the multi-enthic make up of British society. Of course he doesnt want to offend, so goes on to say rubbish like...."We are stronger for it - and I love Britain for it. It gives us access to new ideas, new perspectives, new energies,". But thats just a glib statement which means nothing.......as if he could of said some concrete possitives on large scale immigration.............he surely would have used them?He has lots of negatives to draw on of course, but decides to go easy on himself by barely scratching the surface by admitting.....""But at the same time we know there is anxiety about immigration and what it means for our culture. The answer is not to sweep it under the carpet.In part, that means rejecting the idea that people can "live side by side in their own communities, respecting each other but living separate lives, protected from hatreds but never building a common bond - never learning to appreciate one another", he explains. BBC News - Miliband: Too little done to integrate UK society
    At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, you do know that David Milliband and his party are NOT the Government of the UK? Having said that I agree with you as regards his comments, this is Operation Stable Door for Labour, a pathetic attempt at a damage limitation exercise, and he and his party a hypocrites of the highest order on this subject. As if we needed even more proof that they are utterly unfit for government, as usual.
    “There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can’t think of one at the moment.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you managed to read "failure of multiculturalism" into that. Care to elaborate? I ask because it quite explicitly reads as "integration is needed too" to me, which is something I would have thought a 5 year old could tell you.
    Do you see multiculturalism and integration as compatible ? Many do not. Some see them as diametrically opposed, with a ludicrous inversion of common sense.

Whose duty is it to integrate, after all ?

One day, someone on p.ie will make an OP about multiculturalism who actually understands the meaning of the term.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to learn that Labour are back in power.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So.....you don't know who the primeminister of the UK is. That's pretty dismal. Why is it that the people who tend to start these "I don't like immigration threads" are either illiterate or very very dim?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    One day, someone on p.ie will make an OP about multiculturalism who actually understands the meaning of the term.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to learn that Labour are back in power.
    Well, get on with it then.

No, wait. Don't bother. I just read your second sentence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack White View Post
    Do you see multiculturalism and integration as compatible ? Many do not. Some see them as diametrically opposed, with a ludicrous inversion of common sense.

Whose duty is it to integrate, after all ?
    A simple solution is only to allow highly educated people or people with needed skills enter the country. They are more likely to integrate, more likely to get a job and this will ease tensions. Having areas of England where people don’t speak English is bound to cause tensions. This means the person needs to want to integrate and speaking English is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    A simple solution is only to allow highly educated people or people with needed skills enter the country. They are more likely to integrate, more likely to get a job and this will ease tensions. Having areas of England where people don’t speak English is bound to cause tensions. This means the person needs t want to integrate and speaking English is the first step.
    Multiculturalism does not apply exclusively to immigrant communities.
    Repeal the 27th.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast