Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blessings We Count In Life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Blessings We Count In Life.

In life we can all too often seek out the lowest common denominator at the expense of the highest common factor, to borrow a phrase or two from the world of junior maths.

At a time in Ireland when in many ways we are on the bottom, what are the things that really can give us hope, comfort and joy?

For me, this week alone I found myself being in the enviable position of being able to help someone who was in greater need than I. It was by chance that I found out about a single mother with three children living in a house with no heat. She sat at the table next to me in a chipper telling some of her current circumstances to her friend, as her children shared a single plate of chips.

Since I happen to know a particular woman fairly well in an organisation which helps out with this kind of thing, I approached her cautiously as we were both paying, saying that I couldn't help overhearing something of her conversation and asked if I could help in any way.

She looked firstly at me, and then to check that her children had gone out, and then tears came into her eyes as she said 'Yes'. She went outside to tell her kids to wait a moment and then she came back in and we sat down for a few minutes. She cried, and told me some of her circumstance, which almost made me feel like crying myself.

Abandoned by the father of her first child, she had tried to make a start for herself and her son. Many years later she had two further children to a guy who while they were babies also upped sticks. She now found herself living in a modern council home which she just couldn't afford to keep warm. I assured her that I would like to help, we exchanged phone numbers, and the following day my friend organised for her to get oil in her tank.

That evening I got a phone call from her which included the expression, "I feel so blessed and thankful, because I would never have had the courage to ask anyone for help", thanking me.

I can only say that I felt privileged to have been in the seemingly random position of being able to help her, and I hung up the phone thanking God for the blessing of being in that position in the first place.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is'nt it strange how helping somebody and expecting nothing in return can make you feel good? Even giving a shopper change for the parking machine ends up being better than most of the disposable junk you imagined you needed in the shopping centre.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like to say it but that kind of act is something I'd much rather keep to myself.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    In life we can all too often seek out the lowest common denominator at the expense of the highest common factor, to borrow a phrase or two from the world of junior maths.

At a time in Ireland when in many ways we are on the bottom, what are the things that really can give us hope, comfort and joy?

For me, this week alone I found myself being in the enviable position of being able to help someone who was in greater need than I. It was by chance that I found out about a single mother with three children living in a house with no heat. She sat at the table next to me in a chipper telling some of her current circumstances to her friend, as her children shared a single plate of chips.

Since I happen to know a particular woman fairly well in an organisation which helps out with this kind of thing, I approached her cautiously as we were both paying, saying that I couldn't help overhearing something of her conversation and asked if I could help in any way.

She looked firstly at me, and then to check that her children had gone out, and then tears came into her eyes as she said 'Yes'. She went outside to tell her kids to wait a moment and then she came back in and we sat down for a few minutes. She cried, and told me some of her circumstance, which almost made me feel like crying myself.

Abandoned by the father of her first child, she had tried to make a start for herself and her son. Many years later she had two further children to a guy who while they were babies also upped sticks. She now found herself living in a modern council home which she just couldn't afford to keep warm. I assured her that I would like to help, we exchanged phone numbers, and the following day my friend organised for her to get oil in her tank.

That evening I got a phone call from her which included the expression, "I feel so blessed and thankful, because I would never have had the courage to ask anyone for help", thanking me.

I can only say that I felt privileged to have been in the seemingly random position of being able to help her, and I hung up the phone thanking God for the blessing of being in that position in the first place.
    That would be a more genuine story if the OP were in Ireland which he is not, admittedly.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/events/...ml#post6117084
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/events/...ml#post6117198
    Last edited by Tea Shark; 14th December 2012 at 02:01 AM.
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are some men so awful to the mothers of their children? And their children aswell?

Assuming this OP is genuine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    I don't like to say it but that kind of act is something I'd much rather keep to myself.
    You should share it in a geniune way and try to inspire others to behave in a similar manner.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    You should share it in a geniune way and try to inspire others to behave in a similar manner.
    For all the bluster and crap on p.ie I'd say there's a lot of posters who do good deeds for others. Anyway, I may be miffed because of something else entirely - a personal thing regarding charity. So,ignore my earlier comment. Good on ya, Radix.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post

Hence being anonymous on P.ie, where kindness doesn't very often abound, let's face it.

Anyway, to blanket street I must go.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Shark View Post
    That would be a more genuine story if the OP were in Ireland which he is not, admittedly.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/events/...ml#post6117084
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/events/...ml#post6117198
    Hey Clouseau, where in the OP is Ireland or an Irish location, or any other location for that matter, mentioned?

petunia
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    in Ireland when in many ways we

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    where in the OP is Ireland
    Shame. I had thought you were blinded by your nazi ideals before not that you could not read. I have highlighted for you.

In my post there are also links. Those are things you can click on.
    A nation that keeps one eye on the past is wise. A nation that keeps two eyes on the past is blind.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast