Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts for police procedures for disorderly behaviour

Politics.ie Member O'Sullivan Bere's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Your thoughts for police procedures for disorderly behaviour

In the thread concerning the police action against some Omagh disorderlies, I had the following exchange with Sync who quoted part of one of my posts and responded as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by O'Sullivan Bere View Post
    In many cases that's standing by effectively whistling dixie or lining up in riot gear whilst getting stoned and firebombed with Molotovs, watching people torch stolen vehicles, observing people in balaclavas, masks, scarfed faces and other forms of facial concealment whilst rioting, vandalising, and being otherwise disorderly at late hours for the 'nicer' members of mobs, whilst not effectively breaking them up and making all due arrests, etc.

Except many times they are exactly those things described and much worse. It's not that I have a problem with what the police did here. I just wish they'd do more when it's the mob and riot types scenes that do far more and which are often actually even organised, e.g., loyalist paras behind and/or fuelling some of the most serious misconduct so far with the referenced flag protests, which are often more than just lawful 'protests'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The flip side of that though (and it's one we saw just this week when I suggested a crackdown backed by the army) is that the police get accused of "fanning the flames" when they crack down on flag rioters or bonfire rioters or march rioters. Like anywhere else in the world, there's no half measures when you've got 100 + people rioting. You either kettle them in and disperse them using overwhelming force such as water cannons, rubber bullets etc and accept A: You'll get accused of excessive force and B: You'll likely injure someone who's not being violent or you allow it to go ahead and try to contain it as best you can.
    Rather than respond there, IMO this is a good topic on its own. What in your opinions do you think the PSNI ought to be empowered to do and what procedures should they follow for addressing disorderly conduct ranging from minor, moderate, and major misconduct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Water cannon. Very cold water cannon.
    Ideally the water could contain a hard to remove dye. The dye could be orange or green depending on the offending populace!

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What the police need to do is make more arrests. Unionists who partake in such decadent displays of pointless violence should be reminded that they are no longer immune from prosecution.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

One thing that would really help is a similar exercise to the London Riots last year, where the police contained the problems then very publicy identified and prosecuted a load of people. If that were done on a drip basis then it would A: Show people on both sides of the divide that the police are following up on all crimes B: Deter future rioters as they see the followup that occurs.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    One thing that would really help is a similar exercise to the London Riots last year, where the police contained the problems then very publicy identified and prosecuted a load of people. If that were done on a drip basis then it would A: Show people on both sides of the divide that the police are following up on all crimes B: Deter future rioters as they see the followup that occurs.
    For that you would need to have a completely independent and impartial police force , too much of the stink of the RUC remain in the PRSI for that too happen

The PSNI had no problem whatsoever putting the boot in, and dragging Nationalists off the road in Ardoyne......So the PSNI already have a policy in how to deal with disruption, but one policy for Nationalists, and another for Unionists....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There has been a lot of arrests, a lot of which are minors. The problem the police have is that should they over react and people get killed then they run the real risk of a major backlash. If anyone thinks for a moment that the PSNI only wants to put the boot into nationist hoods or chavs and lets be honest thats what most rioters are these days. Then you are very mistaken.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Water cannon. Very cold water cannon.
    Ideally the water could contain a hard to remove dye. The dye could be orange or green depending on the offending populace!
    petunia

Seriously though, the way to go in NI is containment followed by arrests. History tells us that heavy handed policing leads directly to increased, more serious, violence.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't look good for the PSNI when we see them on American television standing by while unionists attack them with iron bars and petrol bombs. It is further embarassing to see the same unionists stand on top of PSNI vehicles waving union jacks while the police cower inside.

The cops need to step up. The days of unionist domination over a six county police force are over.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythesash View Post
    It doesn't look good for the PSNI when we see them on American television standing by while unionists attack them with iron bars and petrol bombs. It is further embarassing to see the same unionists stand on top of PSNI vehicles waving union jacks while the police cower inside.

The cops need to step up. The days of unionist domination over a six county police force are over.

Indeed Tommy, and that ol word leadership comes up again.

Unionist 'leaders' should be telling their mobs that unionist domination is gone forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast