Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death by one's own hand - prevalence in Ireland.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Death by one's own hand - prevalence in Ireland.

First for anyone in dire strife who has found this thread through a Google search:

Samaritans branches in Ireland | Samaritans

I hae opened this thread in the hope that the thread reporting the tragic suicide of Shannon Gallagher can be kept clear.

I am also challenging The Field Marshall for the third time to provide stats on his assertion that suicide rates have risen in Ireland and that this is a direct result of a move away from Catholicism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    First for anyone in dire strife who has found this thread through a Google search:

I hae opened this thread in the hope that the thread reporting the tragic suicide of Shannon Gallagher can be kept clear.

I am also challenging The Field Marshall for the third time to provide stats on his assertion that suicide rates have risen in Ireland and that this is a direct result of a move away from Catholicism.
    oh grow up. Stop scoring points for goodness sake.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captainwillard View Post
    oh grow up. Stop scoring points for goodness sake.
    I asked specific questions which were answered only be repetitions of the assertions.

I took things to another thread in order to change the discussion from the specific to the general.

Since it would appear that you'd prefer not to participate feel free not to click on the thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It seems to average out at two a day, unfortunately. The under 18s seem to get publicised, as do the parents who kill their children and then themselves (three cases in these parts in the past few years).

It breaks a lot of hearts and the unaswerable question is "why?". I don't know the answer, just being able to talk and get things off your chest is helpful, dismissing someone by saying things like "chin up" and "you'll get over it" is unhelpful.

Depression is rampant in this country at the moment and doctors hand out pills like they are Smarties, people do not listen and I mean listen without advice at the tip of their tongue.

It has become a cruel world with confidence vampires around every corner.
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Teaching the virtues of stoicism, rationalism, determinism and materialism in schools might help. Kids should be taught that what is is and the only possibility to change things is patient practical action and nothing else. Dream if they must but dreams will never become reality without effort.

****************************** it!

I close my eyes
    Only for a moment and the moment's gone
    All my dreams
    Pass before my eyes with curiosity

Dust in the wind
    All they are is dust in the wind

Same old song
    Just a drop of water in an endless sea
    All we do
    Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

(Aa aa aa)
    Dust in the wind
    All we are is dust in the wind
    Oh, ho, ho

Now don't hang on
    Nothin' last forever but the earth and sky
    It slips away
    And all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind
    All we are is dust in the wind
    (All we are is dust in the wind)

Dust in the wind
    (Everything is dust in the wind)
    Everything is dust in the wind
    (In the wind)

(Ooo)
    (Ooo)
    (Ooo)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Some actual data:

http://www.nosp.ie/mortality_statistics.pdf

It doesn't make pretty reading, but there is a significant overall acceleration since suicide became legal, despite a dip in the actual year of legalisation, 1993.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

If we offered more hope to our youth instead of;

a) almost zero chance of employment
    b) work for free, via jobridge and WPP's
    c) be specifically discriminated against, due to your age, should you need welfare support.
    d) expensive emigration where you can look forward to isolation should you not have friends/family abroad
    e) your future being decided by regressive thinking protectionists.
    f) Further Austerity that favours the old at the expense of the young.
    g) little hope of having a proper life of your own due to the greed of politicians and the PS union lobby and certain private vested interests.
    h) the lack of urgency to deal with the above

etc
    etc

ad infinitum...

**off to buy some rope**
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post

Des, you will never get anywhere with that guy for two reasons;
    1. He is mentally incapable of making a distinction between a substantiated fact and his own opinion.
    2. He does not understand the difference between correlation and causation.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Some actual data:

http://www.nosp.ie/mortality_statistics.pdf

It doesn't make pretty reading, but there is a significant overall acceleration since suicide became legal, despite a dip in the actual year of legalisation, 1993.
    The question really goes to the reliability of the stats.

I had a close friend who killed himself in 1990. Note left. No doubts at all about how died.

The decision was "misadventure".

There were many legal and societal pressures against recording "suicide" at the time. If i recall correctly, insurance and accrued pension would have been lost in his case.

There was also the stigma - something with which the RCC was involved - at the doctrinal level. In practice (full disclosure here before TFM starts foaming at the mouth),, the local Parish Priest was an unbelievable source of pragmatic support to the family and also gave an unbelievable sermon on the day of the obsequies.

Stats on suicide are very sketchy in the years up to the mid-90's.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    Des, you will never get anywhere with that guy for two reasons;
    1. He is mentally incapable of making a distinction between a substantiated fact and his own opinion.
    2. He does not understand the difference between correlation and causation.
    I just wanted to offer hims somewhere other than that thread to prove himself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast