Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labour's "managed" revolt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour's "managed" revolt?

One theory I have is that Burton has agreed to a cut that she knows will drive TDs away from Labour; younger TDs who face grim career prospects if they stay in

But there is another theory I'll put out there:

Option 1: Implement cuts and stand by and watch as TD's break away in droves.

Option 2: Instead realise - after decades of hard bitten experience in Sinn Fein, Official Sinn Fein, WP, Democratic Left, the trade union movement and Labour - that splits can be orchestrated in order to defend your left flank against attack by SF and ULA. Instead of trying to oppose the breakaways, manage it by creating tacit understandings that TDs facing trouble over cuts can defect temporarily for optics before returning to the fold once the economy has recovered and all is forgotten.

Bertie managed independent FFers with great skill.

Gilmore is no less skillful. He knows that with a huge majority gov't can afford to lose a few TDs. Could he perhaps be letting key TDs temporarily defect? That way it blocks SF / ULA from gaining ground...

Stranger things have been known to happen.

I'm not saying this is what is happening.

I'm just putting it out there as a theory.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gilmore, Quinn, Rabbite are primarily interested in getting their pensions. They have no hope at the next election. They will hang in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daft thread. Zoo.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can keaveney vote confidence in the government and then support most of the budget and then vote against it, he says he was hoping for a change of mind by the government, but he was told by both kenny and gilmore there would be no turning back, he looks rather foolish in my mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    One theory I have is that Burton has agreed to a cut that she knows will drive TDs away from Labour; younger TDs who face grim career prospects if they stay in

But there is another theory I'll put out there:

Option 1: Implement cuts and stand by and watch as TD's break away in droves.

Option 2: Instead realise - after decades of hard bitten experience in Sinn Fein, Official Sinn Fein, WP, Democratic Left, the trade union movement and Labour - that splits can be orchestrated in order to defend your left flank against attack by SF and ULA. Instead of trying to oppose the breakaways, manage it by creating tacit understandings that TDs facing trouble over cuts can defect temporarily for optics before returning to the fold once the economy has recovered and all is forgotten.

Bertie managed independent FFers with great skill.

Gilmore is no less skillful. He knows that with a huge majority gov't can afford to lose a few TDs. Could he perhaps be letting key TDs temporarily defect? That way it blocks SF / ULA from gaining ground...

Stranger things have been known to happen.

I'm not saying this is what is happening.

I'm just putting it out there as a theory.
    Well, this isn't happening and your theory is mad.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The level of anti Labour trolling on this site has now become ridiculous. I acknowledge that this is a political/current affairs site however the coordinated, organised posting of abusive threads in respect of Labour has become so repetitive, particularly since the Budget.
    One of the usual FG/SF hacks starts a thread, general vitriol/half truths/untruths ensue until it filters out...............whereupon it is replaced by another with a similar theme.
    It is obvious (to me anyway) that SF supporters and, in particular, FG supporters are trying to lay the blame for the budget firmly at the door of Labour.Labour and FG are responsible for the recent budget.
    It has become a joke, the level of FG trolling on this site has not been as ridiculous since before the election when almost everyone on this site was wearing a shirt of a blue hue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Gilmore, Quinn, Rabbite are primarily interested in getting their pensions. They have no hope at the next election. They will hang in.
    Maybe they will.

But giving the Worker's Party past of deception intrigue and subterfuge, managing a few fake defections is a piece of cake. They can create a buffer zone that at least maximises the chance of losing power.

Also they can exert control over anyone who geniunely defects by ensuring that their are loyalists already planted amongst their new "independent" labour friends.

We've just seen the world of double agents and deception at work in recent stories about Pat Finucane and those double agents who caught a British naval officer who tried to give secrets to the Russians.

Don't tell me those at the top of the Labour party aren't subtle or experienced enough to think of tactics like this and try them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    Maybe they will.

But giving the Worker's Party past of deception intrigue and subterfuge, managing a few fake defections is a piece of cake. They can create a buffer zone that at least maximises the chance of losing power.

Also they can exert control over anyone who geniunely defects by ensuring that their are loyalists already planted amongst their new "independent" labour friends.

We've just seen the world of double agents and deception at work in recent stories about Pat Finucane and those double agents who caught a British naval officer who tried to give secrets to the Russians.

Don't tell me those at the top of the Labour party aren't subtle or experienced enough to think of tactics like this and try them out.
    welcome to the site Jim Corr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Lemon View Post
    Is there a reason you felt you had to start a new thread on this?
    Yes - I realise there is a thread on Colm Keaveney's defection and don't want to be discourteous to the Mods.

Its just that I think we need to discuss how much of what we think is spontaneous political activity could in fact be choreographed.

The idea that there is no choreography in politics strikes me as unrealistic.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But I do think it is possible that defections are sometimes co-ordinated or at least occur with some tacit understanding of the reasons why.

For instance in 1983 during the abortion referendum 8 FG TDs were allowed to vote against teh gov't to keep their seats. They were back in FG within 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    The level of anti Labour trolling on this site has now become ridiculous. I acknowledge that this is a political/current affairs site however the coordinated, organised posting of abusive threads in respect of Labour has become so repetitive, particularly since the Budget.
    One of the usual FG/SF hacks starts a thread, general vitriol/half truths/untruths ensue until it filters out...............whereupon it is replaced by another with a similar theme.
    It is obvious (to me anyway) that SF supporters and, in particular, FG supporters are trying to lay the blame for the budget firmly at the door of Labour.Labour and FG are responsible for the recent budget.
    It has become a joke, the level of FG trolling on this site has not been as ridiculous since before the election when almost everyone on this site was wearing a shirt of a blue hue!
    Has it not occurred to you that the very people that voted for Labour precisely because of the promises they made, have now become disenfranchised with them after they said they lied during the election?

It doesn't have to be this big conspiracy for crying out loud....people are upset that the people they voted for have no intention of representing them. I think that is justified. It's nothing to do with trolling, Labour brought this on themselves and it's no secret that the electorate are noticing it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast