Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A tribute to Pat Finucane's courage

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A tribute to Pat Finucane's courage

Although I am very far from agreement with Republicanism aims or past methods, it might be worthwhile, amidst the current arguments and discord, to recognise and pay tribute to the courage of Pat Finucane and many Republicans. Kemal Ataturk's words about the dead of Gallipoli come to mind -

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
    An East Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The idea behind the OP came from this:-

We may have been on different sides, may have had different uniforms, different organisation, different tactics (some, from all sides, very dubious), but death is an equalizer.
    An East Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was a great and fearless man.

RIP.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This canonisation and transformation in to a "human rights" lawyer is going too far.At best he was a skilful lawyer making a few bob from the legal iid funded casses (like many other lawyers) , at worst he was a lawyer dedicated to the republican cause using all info at his disposal to furtehr PIRA aims. The truth probably lies in the middle ......as usual .
    Last edited by vinoboy; 14th December 2012 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    This canonisation and transformation in to a "human rights" lawyer is going too far.At best he was a skilful lawyer making a few bob from the lagal iid funded casses (like many other lawyers) , at worst he was a lawyer dedicated to the republican cause using all info at his disposal to furtehr PIRA aims. The truth probably lies in the middle ......as usual .
    I wasn't talking about what he did, but about the fact that he had courage - I imagine that we can all agree on this. And if you want to make the point that many other people also demonstrated courage, I would agree with this.
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCaldwell View Post
    The idea behind the OP came from this:-

We may have been on different sides, may have had different uniforms, different organisation, different tactics (some, from all sides, very dubious), but death is an equalizer.
    Lasted 15secs of that awful propaganda vid you posted felt a bit sick with the display of so called Christianity, men with guns fight for god I bet. What a load of ************************.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An excellent tribute thread David, I also liked your post number2.

RIP Pat and God bless Ireland and America.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Scary that this place has alot of sycophantic military christian types

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsEvolution View Post
    Lasted 15secs of that awful propaganda vid you posted felt a bit sick with the display of so called Christianity, men with guns fight for god I bet. What a load of ************************.
    Religion is, in part, about death. Death is a key factor of our (or soldier ants') evolved instincts to group together in mutual protection. It is possible that religion arose as a "spandrel" of these instincts.

Obviously, our conscious mind can see that these instincts often lead to spectacularly bad results. But it seems to me that the answer is to channel these instincts, not to scorn them.
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dreadful opening post David. Considering your background, I have thought you'd have known better that to praise an individual such as Finucane. This individual did somersaults defending the type of scumbag who have thought nothing about putting a bullet in your head.

Pat Finucane is where he belongs today and Northern Ireland is a safer place for it.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast