Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Only 25% to 35% would send their children to 'alternative' school -survey

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Only 25% to 35% would send their children to 'alternative' school -survey

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...327837410.html

From the Irish Times today:

SEÁN FLYNN, Education Editor

Only a tiny percentage of parents in some areas favour changes to school patronage, according to a senior figure in Catholic education.

Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn has claimed the results of parental surveys in five pilot areas show a strong demand for change. After the publication of the survey results this week, the Department of Education hopes to begin the process of handing over Catholic-run schools to other patron bodies by September 2014.

However, Father Michael Drumm of the Catholic Schools Partnership maintains only 25 per cent of relevant parents in the areas surveyed responded to the survey.

“ I am not clear as to why the Department of Education cannot publish the exact statistic on the percentage of parents who participated. I think people should look at the real figures. Take Arklow – those who want change are parents of 80 children in a school population of 1,965. That is only 4 per cent .’’
    I think that is a reasonable opinion. If people can't be bothered to reply to surveys such as this, then why should they believe they should be taken seriously?

Parents want more choice of schools - Latest News, Education - Independent.ie

A total of 1,788 valid survey responses were received, representing 3,494 children in the five areas.

Between 37pc to 50pc of respondents across the five areas supported a wider choice of patron. The percentage who said they would send their children to an alternative school patron if available ranged from 25pc to 35pc, while those who did not want to see more choice ranged from 35pc to 44pc.

Between 70pc and 80pc chose English medium schools, while the preference for Irish medium instruction ranged from almost 10pc to 21pc.

Of those parents seeking wider choice, Educate Together was the first preference of 56pc to 76pc.
    I believe there should be more school diversity, wider choice of school patronage but am firmly Pro-Catholic school.

I would love the Atheists/Agnostics and Muslims etc. to send their children elsewhere and leave my children alone to celebrate nativity plays in peace! More Educate Together!!!!

Still, it seems there is some weakish support for these types of schools, certainly not the massive, overwhelming ,
    majority the media believes.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 14th December 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I would love the Atheists/Agnostics and Muslims etc. to send their children elsewhere and leave my children alone to celebrate nativity plays in peace! More Educate Together!!!!
    I would also like to keep my kids in a school away from crazies.

School vouchers gives parents the choice they so desperately need.

The problem is, the PS don't want the competition.

Gimpanzee

Ask the same people if they would change school if the Catholic church was no longer the patron and I'd be pretty confident that the overwhelming majority would say no. The problem is the word alternative. Most people, by definition want their kids to attend a mainstream school. It just so happens that we get 10% extra free Catholicism with that.

I don't want non-religious schools to be 'the alternative', I want them to be the norm. If certain people feel that the sort of education that kids all over the world get is insufficient and they need to supplement it with religious teachings, let them choose an alternative.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Emm.

There's a perfectly adequate thread on this already.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...-beaumont.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Emm.

There's a thread on this already.
    Yeah, we discussed this on another thread.

I think parents were expressing their opinion as to the status of their local school rather than about offering choice in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R3volution_R3ady View Post
    School vouchers gives parents the choice they so desperately need.

The problem is, the PS don't want the competition.
    Parents already have choice over where they send their kids - in so far as the schools exist. The problem is non-Catholic schools don't exist in many areas. Vouchers don't solve that.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much of the lower percentage in favour of actually switching schools is down to parents not wanting to move their children out of their existing classroom? Ie, they would prefer a non-demonational school setting but don't want their child disrupted (taken away from friends, teacher etc)

I believe there should be more school diversity, wider choice of school patronage but am firmly Pro-Catholic school.

Still, it seems there is some weakish support for these types of schools, certainly not the massive, overwhelming ,
    the bishop of dublin already said he was willing to give up a school building and educate together was by far the preference thsoe who wnated change chose
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

So you favour religious partition and discrimination in schools. Unbelieveable ..
    Redacted.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast