Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 201

Thread: Should our Defence Forces be more like the the Swiss Military?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Should our Defence Forces be more like the the Swiss Military?

    Although our Defence Forces provide much practical help at home for example the armed escorts it seems to me that the vast majority of our purpose is to serve abroad on missions seemingly not much to do with us. Lets be honest, what has The Lebanon really got to do with Irish interests?
    The only real reason that we are forced to spend money and time on peacekeeping is because the EU tells us we do not have another choice. In fact our 'Defence Policy' is determined by the EU.

    Treaty of Lisbon/Article 1 - Treaty on European Union/Article 27 - Wikisource, the free online library

    The Military of Switzerland is designed almost exclusively as a defence force. Their capacity to defence their borders is high. But more importantly its ability to 'put off' any foreign nation from invading it because of its highly militarised civilian population who are all well trained in sabotage in their immediate communities. In other words the world knows; invade Switzerland and the country will be ground to a halt within hours and your forces will be attacked relentlessly and in every area.

    And here is the good news, the only spend about 0.2 percent more than us of their GDP than we do on the military. Of course it would not be fair to say things are this simple but the point being: What we spend our money on in the military does little for sovereign interests of the Irish people. And part of the reason is that our military are yet another section of this country that we have lost control over the decision making process of.

    A believe that a constructive Defence Force that works like the Swiss in the interests of its own people is the way forward.
    Last edited by NewDawn1; 13th December 2012 at 03:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Eire1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    With all the events in the North over the last few Weeks, you simply still do not see how close Ireland is to the outbreak of civil war do you?

    The media does a great job of making Irish people into greedy morons who would never care enough to take up battle again but deep down it's only a matter of time before Loyalists start something after unity and our forces will lead the way.

    Yes, that battle will need the involvement of every citizen, swiss style.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    With all the events in the North over the last few Weeks, you simply still do not see how close Ireland is to the outbreak of civil war do you?

    The media does a great job of making Irish people into greedy morons who would never care enough to take up battle again but deep down it's only a matter of time before Loyalists start something after unity and our forces will lead the way.

    Yes, that battle will need the involvement of every citizen, swiss style.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying unity is close and it will cause a civil war?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Hungry Dodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I like how they mined hundreds of strategic roads, tunnels and bridges to dissuade anyone from invading
    “When we deny the evil within ourselves, we dehumanise ourselves, and we deprive ourselves not only of our own destiny but of any possibility of dealing with the evil of others.”

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Follower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawn1 View Post
    Although our Defence Forces provide much practical help at home for example the armed escorts it seems to me that the vast majority of our purpose is to serve abroad on missions seemingly not much to do with us. Lets be honest, what has The Lebanon really got to do with Irish interests?
    The only real reason that we are forced to spend money and time on peacekeeping is because the EU tells us we do not have another choice. In fact our 'Defence Policy' is determined by the EU.

    Treaty of Lisbon/Article 1 - Treaty on European Union/Article 27 - Wikisource, the free online library

    The Military of Switzerland is designed almost exclusively as a defence force. Their capacity to defence their borders is high. But more importantly its ability to 'put off' any foreign nation from invading it because of its its highly militarised civilian population who are all well trained in sabotage in their immediate communities. In other words the world knows; invade Switzerland and the country will be ground to a halt within hours and your forces will be attacked relentlessly and in every area.

    And here is the good news, the only spend about 0.2 percent more than us of their GDP than we do on their military. Of course it would not be fair to say things are this simple but the point being: What we spend our money on in the military does little for sovereign interests of the Irish people. And part of the reason is that our military are yet another section of this country that we have lost control over the decision making process of.

    A believe that a constructive Defence Force that works like the Swiss in the interests of its own people is the way forward.
    1. Have you had experience? Do you know what it is like to serve or what the people in South Lebanon have gone through?
    2. I have traveled throughout the Middle East on business. I have always been very well received by people from all sides. I have never had any problem going through airports there either. Upon presenting an Irish passport, I am always treated with respect. It is down to the men and women in blue berets who through their peacekeeping function have performed an ambassadorial function with local populations .... and it's good for business too. At numerous conferences, representatives from indigenous firms have on a number of occasions remarked about the impartiality and fairness of our soldiers in peacekeeping roles and the resultant respect they have for the Irish.

    BTW i don't disagree with the thrust of your point about the Swiss. There is the opportunity to achieve greater social cohesion, national unity and pride through the military as well as a plethora of other value-added skills (leadership, logistics etc.) which are transferable and sought after by those of us in business.
    Last edited by Follower; 13th December 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: additional point

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Dodo View Post
    I like how they mined hundreds of strategic roads, tunnels and bridges to dissuade anyone from invading
    'Moreover, tunnels and key bridges are built with tank traps. Tunnels are also primed with demolition charges to be used against invading forces. Permanent fortifications were established in the Alps, as bases from which to retake the fertile valleys after a potential invasion. They include underground air bases that are adjacent to normal runways; the aircraft, crew and supporting material are housed in the caverns.' Wikipedia

    Pretty cool huh!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member timhorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,033
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawn1 View Post
    Although our Defence Forces provide much practical help at home for example the armed escorts it seems to me that the vast majority of our purpose is to serve abroad on missions seemingly not much to do with us. Lets be honest, what has The Lebanon really got to do with Irish interests?
    The only real reason that we are forced to spend money and time on peacekeeping is because the EU tells us we do not have another choice. In fact our 'Defence Policy' is determined by the EU.

    Treaty of Lisbon/Article 1 - Treaty on European Union/Article 27 - Wikisource, the free online library

    The Military of Switzerland is designed almost exclusively as a defence force. Their capacity to defence their borders is high. But more importantly its ability to 'put off' any foreign nation from invading it because of its highly militarised civilian population who are all well trained in sabotage in their immediate communities. In other words the world knows; invade Switzerland and the country will be ground to a halt within hours and your forces will be attacked relentlessly and in every area.

    And here is the good news, the only spend about 0.2 percent more than us of their GDP than we do on the military. Of course it would not be fair to say things are this simple but the point being: What we spend our money on in the military does little for sovereign interests of the Irish people. And part of the reason is that our military are yet another section of this country that we have lost control over the decision making process of.

    A believe that a constructive Defence Force that works like the Swiss in the interests of its own people is the way forward.
    You are in good company. Michael Collins also wanted to model the new Irish Army on the Swiss concept of a citizen army.
    From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewDawn1 View Post

    A believe that a constructive Defence Force that works like the Swiss in the interests of its own people is the way forward.
    Do you believe in Santy as well?
    You would want to be looking at Central America for valid comparisons.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    1. Have you had experience? Do you know what it is like to serve or what the people in South Lebanon have gone through?
    2. I have traveled throughout the Middle East on business. I have always been very well received by people from all sides. I have never had any problem going through airports there either. Upon presenting an Irish passport, I am always treated with respect. It is down to the men and women in blue berets who through their peacekeeping function have performed an ambassadorial function with local populations .... and it's good for business too. At numerous conferences, representatives from indigenous firms have on a number of occasions remarked about the impartiality and fairness of our soldiers in peacekeeping roles and the resultant respect they have for the Irish.
    1. This is an annoymous forum.........enough said.
    2. Firstly I do not really care what happens there. Secondly I think your missing my point. Why is that the Swiss have a far more stable economy than we do and yet they do not need to send soldiers to the Lebannon?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timhorgan View Post
    You are in good company. Michael Collins also wanted to model the new Irish Army on the Swiss concept of a citizen army.
    Wow, I did not know that! You have given me some googling to do.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •