Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President's word on bullying/gay people & suicide in Ire

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default President's word on bullying/gay people & suicide in Ire

I seems President McAleese made a very worthwhile speech on bullying in Ireland the issue of binge drinking and drug taking.

Will it make any difference?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default no

Not to me. I havent heard one word of it and I dont know anything about it.
    trubba not
    no trubba

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwojqlidmh/

I saw it on breakingnews.ie - seems she spoke a lot of sense - I'm guessing either someone in her family has come out as gay or she knows some gay people and has discussed it as the speech was obviously written by a gay person rather than someone who thinks they understand what gay people go through as they come to terms with being gay as opposed to those who think you just decide to be gay.

I have to say she impressed me - which makes me wonder why the new gay centre place in Dublin was opened by Ahern who has done absolutely nothing for gay people and not be the President?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to say she impressed me - which makes me wonder why the new gay centre place in Dublin was opened by Ahern who has done absolutely nothing for gay people and not be the President?

Nobody would claim that Ahern is pro-gay or maybe not even gay-friendly, but the following where brought in on his watch (leaving aside the European dimension, the British have only just got around to the equality in goods and services - some 7 years after us). Are these nothing?

The Employment Equality Act in 1998 to outlaw discrimination on nine distinct grounds.
    The Equal Status Act 2000 provided protection for the first time against discrimination outside the field of employment.

The Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 outlaws discrimination in occupational pensions on the same nine grounds, including sexual orientation.

The Health Insurance (Amendment) 2001 prohibits the varying, on the grounds of age, sex or sexual orientation, of amounts payable by insurers in respect of the treatment and care of insured persons.

Our Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2006 extended the existing force majeure leave entitlement, in section 13 of the Parental Leave Act 1998, to employees in respect of persons, including same-sex partners, with whom they have a relationship of domestic dependency.
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They were brought in by the EU so whether he wanted to or not he would have had to include sexual orientation at some point.

Ahern is not a crusader or policy driven leader on any issue it is safe to say

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by returning officer

Nobody would claim that Ahern is pro-gay or maybe not even gay-friendly, but the following where brought in on his watch (leaving aside the European dimension, the British have only just got around to the equality in goods and services - some 7 years after us). Are these nothing?

The Employment Equality Act in 1998 to outlaw discrimination on nine distinct grounds.
    The Equal Status Act 2000 provided protection for the first time against discrimination outside the field of employment.

The Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 outlaws discrimination in occupational pensions on the same nine grounds, including sexual orientation.

The Health Insurance (Amendment) 2001 prohibits the varying, on the grounds of age, sex or sexual orientation, of amounts payable by insurers in respect of the treatment and care of insured persons.

Our Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2006 extended the existing force majeure leave entitlement, in section 13 of the Parental Leave Act 1998, to employees in respect of persons, including same-sex partners, with whom they have a relationship of domestic dependency.
    The President had opened the original headquarters of Outhouse in South William Street (I think that was the location, just down the road from the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre). Mary made a powerful speech at the function. Those of us there were quite moved by it.

Mary McAleese has a powerful commitment to gay rights, thanks to personal experience; a close family member is gay.

She was one of the founders of the Campaign for Homosexual Law Reform, alongside David Norris. Ironically when Mary had to step back from it due to other commitments, she was replaced by Mary Robinson, who she then succeeded as president. (The overlapping of both women's careers was amazing.)

Given that the taoiseach has the power to introduce legislation, it was understandable to invite him and use the opportunity to lobby him.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But she has done more for gay equality than Bertie ever did so why not ask her to do the honours.

He has had the power to introduce legilsation for 10 years and has done nothing what makes you think he will bother now when he is in the final bit of his time in office and you can sure as well bet that BIFFO will do even less to push through equality legislation.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Earl of Desmond
    They were brought in by the EU so whether he wanted to or not he would have had to include sexual orientation at some point.

Ahern is not a crusader or policy driven leader on any issue it is safe to say

roma locutus est , causa finita est .

in other news, the pres was the legal advisor and founder member of the campaign for homosexual law reform. her advisory role was later filled by a young lady lawyer called robinson.
    "Never despair, but if you do, work on in despair"
    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
    Edmund Burke

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default thanks

Thanks for the link provided.

It seems to have been a fine speech, and yes, I do think it will make a difference. The more her positive message is reported, of course, the greater the prospect of their having an effect. And its not something that will transform dramatically as a consequence of one person's utterance at one moment in time - there needs to be a committed, collective determination to counter the effects of all manifestations of prejudice and discrimination in Irish society.

Bertie, regrettably, has determined that these are not priorities he wants to bother with too much.

But well done Madam President.
    trubba not
    no trubba

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Bertie is the only one standing in the way - this the man without the guts to get a divorce so he is hardly going to push afor agay equality. I can't see John Gormley, Enda Kenny or Pat Rabbitte taking so long to implement gay equality.

Mary Harney I don't know - it would depend how many cakes were on the table I suppose
    Seeing as the whole reason for the PDs is to increase inequality I can't see any PD pushing the issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast