Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Priest in Kerry tells children truth about Santa - cue tears and outrage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Priest in Kerry tells children truth about Santa - cue tears and outrage!

I heard this story over the weekend and it has been confirmed on the front page of today's Kerry's Eye that a priest, Martin Hegarty who was filling in for his parish priest, told a class room of 6th class children in Lixnaw, Co. Kerry that santa didn't really exist.

He is quoted in the paper as saying that they were "too old" to believe in santa.

Now according to my own sources some of the parents were very upset and the Kerry's Eye quotes one man who said his 11 year old niece was left "bawling and crying".

The priest said he didn't intend to cause harm and didn't know anyone was upset. According to the Kerry's Eye he said, rather compassionately, "According to statisticians, Irish kids get more presents at Christmas than their European counterparts" and "So they needn't worry, the presents will still come, whether Santy comes or not."

I wonder what the church would have to say if someone went into a classroom full of 11 year olds and told them, oh, lets say.... the truth about god?
    Last edited by Kerrygold; 13th December 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post
    I heard this story over the weekend and it has been confirmed on the front page of today's Kerry's Eye that a priest, Martin Hegarty who was filling in for his parish priest, told a class room of 6th class children in Lixnaw, Co. Kerry that santa didn't really exist.

Now according to my own sources some of the parents were very upset and the Kerry's Eye quotes one man who said his 11 year old niece was left "bawling and crying".

The priest said he didn't intend to cause harm and didn't know anyone was upset. According to the Kerry's Eye he said, rather compassionately, "According to statisticians, Irish kids get more presents at Christmas than their European counterparts" and "So they needn't worry, the presents will still come, whether Santy comes or not."

I wonder what the church would have to say if someone went into a classroom full of 11 year olds and told them, oh, lets say.... the truth about god?
    What was he doing in the classroom in the first place?
    But on the Santa issue, it's a long time since I met an 11 year old believer!

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you mean, Santa doesn't exist??????????????????

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrygold View Post

Priests will not tell the truth about god as their livelihoods depend on it!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's always one.....anyway he wasnt telling the truth and will go to hell for lying.

So there....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What was he doing in the classroom in the first place?
    Instructing the children in their religious formation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The man's name is Santy.
    At least in Dublin.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Revenge. Tell the congregation at Sunday's Mass that God doesn't exist
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Instructing the children in their religious formation.
    Is that education?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah Kerry!

Bet he didn't tell them the truth about the leprechauns!

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast