Pretty shocking stuff and extremely sad for all actors invloved, particularly the Finucane family. The review finds the British Army and Special Branch had advance notice of a series of planned UDA assassinations, but took no action.
Cameron said, 'It should have been clear to the RUC Special Branch from the threat intelligence that...the UDA were about to mount an imminent attack but "...it is clear that they took no action whatsoever to act on the threat intelligence,'. "I am deeply sorry," he said, adding that the Finucanes had suffered "the most grievous wrongs".
Five areas of state collusion identified by de Silva review
1. There were extensive "leaks" of security force information to the UDA and other loyalist paramilitary groups.
2. There was a failure by the authorities to act on threat intelligence.
3. Employees of the State and State agents played "key roles" in the murder.
4. There was a failure to investigate and arrest key members of the West Belfast UDA over a long period of time.
5. There was a wider "relentless attempt to defeat the ends of justice" after the murder had taken place.
Sir Desmond found that "senior Army officers deliberately lied to criminal investigators" and that RUC Special Branch "were responsible for seriously obstructing the investigation".
Source: David Cameron
BBC News - Pat Finucane murder: 'Shocking state collusion', says PM
No state conspiracy in Finucane murder - UTV Live News