Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What DO Expats Miss About Ireland?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What DO Expats Miss About Ireland?

It's Christmas, so maybe some positive things that expats miss about Ireland to counteract the negativity in the thread about what we DON'T miss.

For me - it's open fires. Londoners don't seem to value open fires in the same way as the Irish, so it's really difficult to find a place with an open fire - even houses that originally had them often have them blocked - and there are few things better than being sat in front of a roaring fire.

Linked to that - and don't tell Ming - is turf. Admittedly more a rural thing than an Irish thing, but the only thing better than being sat in front of a roaring fire is if that fire is a turf fire, with all the smell and memories of hand cut turf.

Then there's the spontanaity that comes with a combination of living in a small town with also being Irish. In London, everyone I know is based all across London so there really is no prospect of people just nipping in for tea, or a few friends dropping by on a friday night convincing you to go to the pub. It's not just being a big city though - I think there's something uniquely Irish about dropping in to someone unannounced or uninvited for a cup of tea and letting the evening take you where it takes you.

And of course - taytos, cidona and club orange...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tanora and Cidona

Not freak people out with an impromptu cupla focal gaelige.

The Echo!!

Strolling down Panna shouting "Sorry" to get someones attention!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I lived in the Pacific North West for a couple of years. A decent cup of tea was missed badly. The ability to show up on peoples doorsteps for a cup of tea or a scoop was another. Not having to work 8-5 everyday with manditory overtime on a Saturday if required and not getting paid holidays was a huge one. How easily socially acceptable it was to drink and drive over there was a huge annoyance to me.

Not having to pay $20 to watch a GAA or rugby match at a god awful hour of the morning was a huge one.

Decent Guinness as well of course.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when i lived abroad the thing i missed most was a batch loaf loved the heels with plenty of kerrygold

Politics.ie Member libertarian-right's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The lovely country roads.

Politics.ie Member TheWexfordInn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My old haunt The Wexford Inn on Wexford Street. Long since closed and reopened as The Mean Fiddler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toughie...when I lived in Europe, I'd have had loads to say. Now I'm in England, most of the stuff I missed I can get here...hmmm...the closeness of everything. You can pop in the car and drive to most places around the country comfortably in a few hours. That's not the case here...
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's December, it was 41 degrees here on Monday, I miss the cold weather (really), I miss snuggling up under a big quilt,(It's so hot at night, we only sleep with a sheet on), and I miss the cold rain. It only rains warm.........
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    It's December, it was 41 degrees here on Monday, I miss the cold weather (really), I miss snuggling up under a big quilt,(It's so hot at night, we only sleep with a sheet on), and I miss the cold rain. It only rains warm.........
    I would hate not to have a cold winter - in fact I'd prefer if we could have a more arctic winter; one thing that would prompt me to move to Montreal at some point

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

When I lived abroad it was definitely a decent cup of tea that I missed most.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast