Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will carers be forced to drop their patients into casualty departments for a break?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Will carers be forced to drop their patients into casualty departments for a break?

Joan Burton just does not understand what a carers respite break is. 77,000 carers are literally dead on their feet from tiredness due to long hours caring for their loved ones.

Carers provide care on a 24 hour basis 7 days a week 365 days a year. They need to have breaks to rest and to preserve their mental well being.

Many carers live under a great mental strain caring for people with dementia, mental retardation which is very wearing and tiring.

Reducing respite grant assistance amounts to cutting their respite break, as the costs of respite care have not fallen and many HSE respite services are withdrawn by the HSE.

It would seem reasonable for say 1200 carers to drop their patients into casualty departments on Monday each week to obtain a weeks respite break. That way the 77,000 carers could get a break for a week of the year?

The impact on the HSE's 10,000 public bed spaces in the Hospital network would effectively freeze the operation of the hospital system!

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Based on a recent A&E/casuality experience, A&E may not admit them.
    If its not an accident or emergency, then A&E may not admit them.

This is based on phone calls between my GP and the local A&E and whether a relative should be sent back to them.

This may vary from hospital to hospital.
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well one of this issues that has come to the fore here is that the grant was not being used in many cases for respite care. It is unvouched. Why is it called a Respite Grant when there is no requirement for it to be used as such. Don't get me wrong full time carers who cannot rely on other family members to help out so that they can get a break away should receive state support to pay the costs of respite care. No question. However, it should be vouched for and used for that specific purpose only. Do all 70K carers need financial support to help with respite. What about the collective responsibilities of other family members.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by potholedogger View Post
    It would seem reasonable for say 1200 carers to drop their patients into casualty departments on Monday each week to obtain a weeks respite break
    And you think that carers would be so heartless?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I want to know is, how did carers survive on €1,300 in 2006, but now suddenly a€1,375 in 2013 is completely awful and will leave them destitute?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hospitals always get "social admissions"...have done for a long time!!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Well one of this issues that has come to the fore here is that the grant was not being used in many cases for respite care. It is unvouched. Why is it called a Respite Grant when there is no requirement for it to be used as such. Don't get me wrong full time carers who cannot rely on other family members to help out so that they can get a break away should receive state support to pay the costs of respite care. No question. However, it should be vouched for and used for that specific purpose only. Do all 70K carers need financial support to help with respite. What about the collective responsibilities of other family members.
    I heard one interview in which the carer admitted to using the respite grant to pay car insurance and other bills.
    Last edited by Dunlin3; 12th December 2012 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Round about now we will start seeing the grannies being sent to the A&E for the Christmas. Happens every year.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government is relying in the love and integrity of carers.

Those in receipt of such allowances could have handed over care to the State, but chose not to out of love and commitment.

They are the last people to dump granny at the hospital door.

But I certainly would not blame anyone for so doing.

A thankless job, but done out of love, thats for sure. There doesn't seem to be any other recompense for devoting all your time and attention to something that the State does for those who do not have family to care for them.

Or sometimes family are there, but for one reason or another cannot, or šecide not to take on the job.

We were members of the carer cohort for years. So I know what I'm talking about here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Majority like you Asset ( but firely and I can confirm that there are plenty of social admissions....)...and OF COURSE respite is spent on other things...cos its fe*king hard to work and care....!!

Its cat!!....

BTW....there are many who should not be in hospitals....not just those who are cared for....!!...you get the VIP who is kept in cos the "decorators" are in....etc....
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast