Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unionists - what do you make of the rioting and the actions of the DUP/UUP councillors?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unionists - what do you make of the rioting and the actions of the DUP/UUP councillors?

Speaking as a Southerner, I find the riots to be quite over the top, to say the least. I don't think that the majority of unionists are that extreme, not for a second, but I would like to get the views of moderate unionists.

I also find the leaflets that the DUP/UUP sent out to be quite sectarian, which surely is not the way any sane person in the North would want to go.

Also, to those who oppose the flag restriction - why the reluctance to accept that Belfast is far from being overwhelmingly unionist? You can't have it all your own way anymore - those days are gone. And it was hardly a radical proposal - it wasn't as if the suggestion was to replace the union jack with the tricolour. And to me, it reeks of insecurity - if Leitrim county council didn't want to fly the tricolour 365 days a year(not sure if it does even), then I really couldn't care less - There's still the GAA, for instance. I don't need a flag at a local authority hall to know that I'm Irish.

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My thoughts are that the way forward is to find areas of consensus and advance in those directions - much in the way that the EU started with an agreement about steel and coal production.
    As for the rioting, it somehow brought to mind the words of the French soldier describing Verdun in 1916 (although this time it is more farce than tragedy).

Humanity is mad. It must be mad to do what it is doing. What a massacre! What scenes of horror and carnage! I cannot find words to translate my impressions. Hell cannot be so terrible. Men are mad!
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCaldwell View Post
    My thoughts are that the way forward is to find areas of consensus and advance in those directions - much in the way that the EU started with an agreement about steel and coal production.
    As for the rioting, it somehow brought to mind the words of the French soldier describing Verdun in 1916 (although this time it is more farce than tragedy).
    That may be difficult - seeing that a large chunk of unionists seemed to find the idea of power-sharing in the first place too much of a comprimise, and the dispute is quite telling when it comes to the attitudes of some unionists. Not saying that unionists are the problem, but the recent riots does much damage to the reputation of the unionist community in general. It's a pity that more unionists besidies senior unionists in stormont are not condeming the riots - although I am open to correction.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    Speaking as a Southerner, I find the riots to be quite over the top, to say the least. I don't think that the majority of unionists are that extreme, not for a second, but I would like to get the views of moderate unionists.

I also find the leaflets that the DUP/UUP sent out to be quite sectarian, which surely is not the way any sane person in the North would want to go.

Also, to those who oppose the flag restriction - why the reluctance to accept that Belfast is far from being overwhelmingly unionist? You can't have it all your own way anymore - those days are gone. And it was hardly a radical proposal - it wasn't as if the suggestion was to replace the union jack with the tricolour. And to me, it reeks of insecurity - if Leitrim county council didn't want to fly the tricolour 365 days a year(not sure if it does even), then I really couldn't care less - There's still the GAA, for instance. I don't need a flag at a local authority hall to know that I'm Irish.
    try a bit of prespective if you add all the numbers of protesters together you would be lucky to get to 10k maybe 10% of them where violent i.e 0.1% of the unionist community.
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post

I got as far as your first paragraph in your post sir..........one question, can you supply me the names of these unionist moderates?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    try a bit of prespective if you add all the numbers of protesters together you would be lucky to get to 10k maybe 10% of them where violent i.e 0.1% of the unionist community.
    I recognise that, but you don't regularly see republicians/nationalists riot to the same extent, especially not over such a mundane and minor issue - which, in fairness, it is. Also, it's a pretty bad PR exercise for unionists. And the mainstream Unionist parties were partly responsible for stirring up the riots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    I got as far as your first paragraph in your post sir..........one question, can you supply me the names of these unionist moderates?
    For a start, there was a UUP councillor who openly declared support for the proposal for the flag. Can't remember his name, unfortunately.

PS Basil McCrea.
    Last edited by Mattarigna; 11th December 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Work these out, I can't.
    Protester's confront and heckle the DUPs Ian McCrea in Cookstown. Some protesters voiced their opinions and told him he wasn't welcome to large cheers from the crowd. The video of it is around Facebook if you search around.
    Lord Mayor Gavin Robinson, hid inside the City Hall in the Emergency Room during the protest yesterday. Little wonder, at the DUP Chrtismas dinner in Newtownabbey on Friday night where they had singer Peter Corry loyalists congregated at the gates hijacked and burned two cars and smashed the windscreens of other cars belonging to people attending. The DUP Christmas dinner had their evening cut short because entertainers could not get into the premises, wonder did Peter Corry still get his £3500 estimated fee?. DUP assembly member Paul Girvan attempted to speak to the protesters but was stoned.
    Both from Loyalist Willie Frazer's site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, it was revealed yesterday that this was UUP policy in 2000 or so. Of course, that party was on a much different path back then.

As repeated "mainlanders" have said on/in the media, as well as the SOS today, this behaviour is not on that they would recognise as being British at all.

FAO the OPist, I'm no unionist but Mickey might be
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eskrimador View Post
    Well, it was revealed yesterday that this was UUP policy in 2000 or so. Of course, that party was on a much different path back then.

As repeated "mainlanders" have said on/in the media, as well as the SOS today, this behaviour is not on that they would recognise as being British at all.

FAO the OPist, I'm no unionist but Mickey might be
    I know that you are not a unionist, all opinions are welcome, but unionist opinion is hard to come by.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast