Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who finances the RTE guide?

Default Who finances the RTE guide?

I was in my local Tesco today when I noticed Michael Buble cheeseily grinning at me from the front of the RTE Guide on the shelf. A couple of thoughts came into my head;

1-Does anyone actually buy the RTE Guide anymore now that basically all digital TV receivers have a built in guide?

2-is it funded from the same pot as our licence fees go into?

I used to buy the Christmas edition, but didn't bother this year as I don't see any reason to. Does anyone here buy it every week, or does anyone buy it every week for that matter? If its operating at a loss, which I'd imagine it is, should it continue to be published?
    Somebody grab the script!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff says Flaherty View Post
    I was in my local Tesco today when I noticed Michael Buble cheeseily grinning at me from the front of the RTE Guide on the shelf. A couple of thoughts came into my head;

1-Does anyone actually buy the RTE Guide anymore now that basically all digital TV receivers have a built in guide?

2-is it funded from the same pot as our licence fees go into?

I used to buy the Christmas edition, but didn't bother this year as I don't see any reason to. Does anyone here buy it every week, or does anyone buy it every week for that matter? If its operating at a loss, which I'd imagine it is, should it continue to be published?
    Who finances the RTE Guide? In short, you do.
    Se vogliamo che tutto rimanga com'Ť bisogna che tutto cambi.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Back in the day the RTE Guide was financed by RTE Commercial Enterprises Ltd.

RTE Commercial Enterprises was a subsidiary of RTE.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The RTE Guide is the biggest selling and most read magazine in the country according to RTE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RT Guide - Ireland's Largest Selling Magazine Now Online

[The RT… Guide is Irelandís largest selling magazine with an ABC circulation figure of 87,561 (ABC 2009) and a readership figure of 588,000 (TGI 2010). It is a family focused lifestyle and entertainment weekly magazine with a full listing of all terrestrial and popular satellite channels. It has weekly updates on the latest movies, music and book releases and a very strong lifestyle section covering the latest trends in beauty, fashion and interiors. ...]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Retail sales + adverts I assume - it's among the biggest selling publications in the land, I think.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jaysus that used to be one of the perks of christmas sitting down with the rte guide radio times and itv guide bumper editions and planning your viewing over the holidays

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'........fifty seven channels and nothing on....' (Bruce Springstein)

Who's sold out (again!) his two Limerick and Cork gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    RT Guide - Ireland's Largest Selling Magazine Now Online

[The RT… Guide is Ireland’s largest selling magazine with an ABC circulation figure of 87,561 (ABC 2009) and a readership figure of 588,000 (TGI 2010). It is a family focused lifestyle and entertainment weekly magazine with a full listing of all terrestrial and popular satellite channels. It has weekly updates on the latest movies, music and book releases and a very strong lifestyle section covering the latest trends in beauty, fashion and interiors. ...]
    87,561 people a week buy it? What a precise number. It's kinda crap though isn't it? I mean a few articles, a few ads and then a third of it wasted on listings which you can get in more detail by pressing a button on your remote.
    Somebody grab the script!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knew someone involved in marketing side of construction industry years ago. RTE guide was far and away the best for reaching customers. Has probably changed since.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast