Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the U.S. tax system so unfair to wealthy Americans ?

Politics.ie Member rash mulligan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is the U.S. tax system so unfair to wealthy Americans ?

I am very surprised by this.

I would normally see the U.S. as a place where wealth is admired and appreciated but based on the facts

Okay, Folks, Let's Put Aside Politics And Talk About Taxes... [CHARTS] - Business Insider

The top 5% pay @36% of all tax while the bottom 50% pay 3% of all tax collected at an average rate of 2.98%.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

Top 1% pay 36.73% of federal income taxes collected.

Top 5% pay 58.66% of federal income taxes collected.

Top 10% pay 70.47% of federal income taxes collected.

Top 25% pay 87.30% of federal income taxes collected.

Top 50% pay 97.75% of federal income taxes collected.

Bottom 50% pay 2.25% of federal income taxes collected.

A bit unfair one should think.

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not much different from Ireland, particularly within the PAYE system.

It is those outside the PAYE system we need to be keeping a closer eye on.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might be less surprising for you if you compared those figures to the % of national income that these people earn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rash mulligan View Post

I would normally see the U.S. as a place where wealth is admired and appreciated but based on the facts

Considering how much their income has grown relative to everyone else's in society is it any wonder they pay a higher proportion of the income tax bill?

In other words it is a sign of the large income and growing inequality in America.
    These men had only learned how to act in the interest of their own...private monopolies which may be likened to totalitarian oligarchies within our democratic State.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While the US tax system is extremely progressive, it would be better to look at tax rate paid. Your statistics do not take into account income difference. If, for example, 1% of the population earned 100% of the income (obviously unrealistic - i'm just using this example to prove a point) then they would also pay 100% of the income tax. This however would not a sign of an overly progressive tax system.

Didn't know you were a communist. Aren't Labour a bit too moderate than? That is a phrase that could be interpreted in many ways. "For each according to his ability" could signify a proportional tax, i.e everybody pays the same. If we take "Ability to pay" as meaning roughly "income", then indeed this statement would suggest a proportional tax rate - not a progressive one. Are you for that?

In addition, using an idiomatic phrase is not a substitute for actually arguing in favour of your point. Especially when the phrase in question was coined by someone so extreme politically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rash mulligan View Post

Okay, Folks, Let's Put Aside Politics And Talk About Taxes... [CHARTS] - Business Insider

The top 5% pay @36% of all tax while the bottom 50% pay 3% of all tax collected at an average rate of 2.98%.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

Which reinforces the view that if america is to fix it's budget and public debt it is going to have raise taxes on everyone including "the poor" and "the low paid" and "those who can't afford..." and "those who can't take any more pain". This is why the Democrats don't live in the real world. Having said that Republican ideas of cutting tax are also bonkers.

Ramps

Probably the most meaningless and sanctimonious bit of claptrap any person ever come up with.

Boggle

U.S. Income Inequality: It's Worse Today Than It Was in 1774 - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

The bottom 40% of people have only share about 12% of all income. No wonder they cannot pay much tax.
    The top 1% share almost 20% of all income.

I think it's time to look for alternative economic systems or controls to ensure a better distribution of wealth.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    U.S. Income Inequality: It's Worse Today Than It Was in 1774 - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

The bottom 40% of people have only share about 12% of all income. No wonder they cannot pay much tax.
    The top 1% share almost 20% of all income.

I think it's time to look for alternative economic systems or controls to ensure a better distribution of wealth.
    Time for the State to steal more from its citizens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast