Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 217

Thread: Science Deniers

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member CptSternn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Science Deniers



    I used this as an example in another thread. It's not a joke, it's from a real book. Noe just a real book, but a book put out by a conservative group that publishes books that 'dispel' the 'lies' of science.

    Worst part, they not only have traction in America, they are supported by many GOP members and other conservatives.

    Here is a link to the actual book. You can check out some of the other titles by the same author and publishing group.

    Dinosaurs of Eden: Tracing the Mystery Through History: Ken Ham, Earl Snellenberger, Bonnie Snellenberger: 9780890513408: Amazon.com: Books

    This would be funny if it were not deadly serious and supported by a large chunk of America.

    Can we start calling these people 'science-deniers'? I mean, clearly that's what they are sure.

  2. #2

    Default

    All part of the standard creationist twaddle. Some of them think the Great Flood made the Grand Canyon. It's looney religious stuff, nothing will change their minds.
    Redacted.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member LDF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That's mad stuff. Everyone knows there's no such thing as "dinosaurs".
    I care about all sorts of crap.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post


    I used this as an example in another thread. It's not a joke, it's from a real book. Noe just a real book, but a book put out by a conservative group that publishes books that 'dispel' the 'lies' of science.

    Worst part, they not only have traction in America, they are supported by many GOP members and other conservatives.

    Here is a link to the actual book. You can check out some of the other titles by the same author and publishing group.

    Dinosaurs of Eden: Tracing the Mystery Through History: Ken Ham, Earl Snellenberger, Bonnie Snellenberger: 9780890513408: Amazon.com: Books

    This would be funny if it were not deadly serious and supported by a large chunk of America.

    Can we start calling these people 'science-deniers'? I mean, clearly that's what they are sure.
    Looks like a party political manifesto from circa 2007

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member olli rehn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    en garde
    Posts
    8,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDF View Post
    That's mad stuff. Everyone knows there's no such thing as "dinosaurs".
    Wrong wrong wrong....watch this :

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Believed mostly by US Redneck bible thumpers and some of the DUP and most of the Free Presbyterians. Not too sure if the Flat Earth Society are all on board though.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    Wrong wrong wrong....watch this :
    Ask David Icke and his friends about those sneaky lizards...Why Children Love Dinosaurs... - David Icke's Official Forums

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    "their incredible strength to turns lemons into delicious, fresh lemonade" Really?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    43,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post


    I used this as an example in another thread. It's not a joke, it's from a real book. Noe just a real book, but a book put out by a conservative group that publishes books that 'dispel' the 'lies' of science.

    Worst part, they not only have traction in America, they are supported by many GOP members and other conservatives.

    Here is a link to the actual book. You can check out some of the other titles by the same author and publishing group.

    Dinosaurs of Eden: Tracing the Mystery Through History: Ken Ham, Earl Snellenberger, Bonnie Snellenberger: 9780890513408: Amazon.com: Books

    This would be funny if it were not deadly serious and supported by a large chunk of America.

    Can we start calling these people 'science-deniers'? I mean, clearly that's what they are sure.
    I opened a thread on this before and got attacked by every science denier on the site, who emerged from whatever hole they had been hiding in. http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...omenon-50.html

    Science denial is real, and is present in

    • climate change denial ("climate change is not happening")
    • vaccination denial (the "vaccination causes autism" thing, putting kids' lives at risk)
    • AIDS-HIV denial (e.g. Thabo Mbeki in South Africa refused retroviral drugs to AIDS patients)
    • Every loony conspiracy theory demands rejection of scientific evidence in some form (e.g. the Apollo landings were faked)


    As I explained, the denier clings to a personal belief or ideology that it would cause distress or "dissonance" if one had to give it up e.g. free market ideology in the case of climate change deniers, clearly religious faith in the case of an "evolution denier".

    http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...omenon-50.html

    It is easy to reject Creationists & Holocaust Deniers (but you need lots of energy), lesseasy to expend the energy to find out more about the others. You will be surprised how many faux-science "experts" there are out there.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    I open a thread on this before and got attacked by every science denier on the site, who emerged from whatever hole they had been hiding in. http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...omenon-50.html

    Science denial is real, and is present in

    • climate change denial ("climate change is not happening")
    • vaccination denial (the "vaccination causes autism" thing, putting kids' lives at risk)
    • AIDS-HIV denial (e.g. Thabo Mbeki in South Africa refused retrovirial drugs)
    • Every loony conspiracy theory demands rejection of scientific evidence in some form (e.g. the Apollo landings were faked)


    As I explained, the denier clings to a personal belief or ideology that it would cause distress or "dissonance" if one had to give it up e.g. free market ideology in the case of a climate change deniers, clearly religious faith in the case of an "evolution denier".

    http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...omenon-50.html

    It is easy to reject Creationists & Holocaust Deniers (but you need lots of energy), lesseasy to expend the energy to find out more about the others. You will be surprised how many faux-science "experts" there are out there.
    Ah jaysus Owed...keep it light

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •