Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage Coming to the UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gay Marriage Coming to the UK

BBC News - Gay marriage: Boris Johnson and Michael Gove give backing

This isn't news as such (we've known of Cameron's support for the past couple of years), but new developments in advance of Tuesday's consultation response suggest that, despite some Conservative backbenchers rebelling on the issue, Cameron has the backing of his main rivals, meaning that we're unlikely to see any buckling on the issue.

The fact that Johnson and Gove are both out in support of gay marriage means that there is unlikely to be a single, high-profile opponent of gay marriage proposals which the Government are due to launch on Thursday. Gove, in particular, is significant. There had been speculation of Gove posturing as an heir to Cameron by appealing to Tory traditionalists - it seems that, at least on this issue, Cameron can count on a pretty united Cabinet lacking in any high profile leader of the rebels.

That - combined with support from both Labour and the Lib Dems - means that the UK looks very likely to have introduced gay marriage by 2015.

IMO this will hasten the introduction of gay marriage in Ireland - although the principle in Zappone has been decided (for now) and there is (for now) no compulsion on the part of the Government to recognise foreign marriages, up until now, foreign gay marriages will have been quite rare. Once its legal in the UK, however, then it becomes difficult to see how long a situation can last where someone getting married in Derry won't have that marriage recognised in Donegal.

EDIT: The Consultation Response will be issued today (Tuesday) not Thursday. A Statement to the Commons will be made at 12.30
    Last edited by livingstone; 11th December 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About time too. Everyone deserves to be happy.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Katherine Zappone's stance on this disturbs me a bit. She seems to be hoping that the Supreme Court will effectively find that gay marriage is constitutional, and therefore it would be "legalised" in that route, without the express support of the people.

I am 100% in support of same sex marriage, but I think it would be very, very damaging if it was introduced this way. The people need to support it at the ballot box either directly, or by electing a Government which has specifically sought a mandate to legislate for it. The current Government does not have any such mandate, since Fine Gael were silent on gay marriage in the run-up to the 2011 election.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

John Majors come out in favour of it as well. The idea that they'll legislate to allow full church ceremony but allow churches total control over allowing it or not pretty much removes any real argument against it. Public opinions solidly in favour of it.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    BBC News - Gay marriage: Boris Johnson and Michael Gove give backing

This isn't news as such (we've known of Cameron's support for the past couple of years), but new developments in advance of Thursday's consultation response suggest that, despite some Conservative backbenchers rebelling on the issue, Cameron has the backing of his main rivals, meaning that we're unlikely to see any buckling on the issue.

The fact that Johnson and Gove are both out in support of gay marriage means that there is unlikely to be a single, high-profile opponent of gay marriage proposals which the Government are due to launch on Thursday. Gove, in particular, is significant. There had been speculation of Gove posturing as an heir to Cameron by appealing to Tory traditionalists - it seems that, at least on this issue, Cameron can count on a pretty united Cabinet lacking in any high profile leader of the rebels.

That - combined with support from both Labour and the Lib Dems - means that the UK looks very likely to have introduced gay marriage by 2015.

IMO this will hasten the introduction of gay marriage in Ireland - although the principle in Zappone has been decided (for now) and there is (for now) no compulsion on the part of the Government to recognise foreign marriages, up until now, foreign gay marriages will have been quite rare. Once its legal in the UK, however, then it becomes difficult to see how long a situation can last where someone getting married in Derry won't have that marriage recognised in Donegal.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the Zappone principle?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why can the law nor simply allow any given number of individuals to marry each other as they see fit?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    About time too. Everyone deserves to be happy.
    And/or miserable.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    Katherine Zappone's stance on this disturbs me a bit. She seems to be hoping that the Supreme Court will effectively find that gay marriage is constitutional, and therefore it would be "legalised" in that route, without the express support of the people.

I am 100% in support of same sex marriage, but I think it would be very, very damaging if it was introduced this way. The people need to support it at the ballot box either directly, or by electing a Government which has specifically sought a mandate to legislate for it. The current Government does not have any such mandate, since Fine Gael were silent on gay marriage in the run-up to the 2011 election.
    Did Cameron ask for a mandate in the last UK GE? Genuine question, I don't know.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what is the Zappone principle?
    Something to do with women who like to feed the pony, not being allowed to get married in Ireland.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Should be interesting - according to those opposed to gay marriage the UK will implode once these marriages take place. If it doesn't .......

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast