Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Still Have Confidence In This Government?

Default Do You Still Have Confidence In This Government?

This coalition has completely gone rogue...

I remember correctly that Gilmore stood up that day and announced that it was either "Labours way or Frankfurts way.." and Leo Varadkar stated that the sentiment inside Fine Gael was "Not one red cent...."

Their actions in government however is to the exact contrary. These parties were not voted in because they were entitled to it after sitting so long on the opposition benches, they were not voted in because they're great craic down the pub. They were voted in on their promises, their proposals and their discussions with the Irish people. The people of Ireland sent a clear message and now the government have done a complete u-turn. How is this democratic? How is this a legitimate government? Are we to obey an illegitimate government?

When Pat Rabbitte was asked last night on TWIP if Labour had lied to the people that voted for them, his answer was "but sure isn't that what you do during an election campaign". Some backbenchers might stick their chest out a bit because they're getting the brunt of it in their local constituency offices but the cronies up top rely on remoteness from the very people they claim to represent. The EU of course love their stooges. Another group of eejits to control for another term. Seeing Enda Kenny strutting down the aisle today at the EU Peace Prize ceremony thinking he was the dogs b0llox would lead any reasonable individual to think that our Taoiseach is afraid. He's reluctant to engage with voters and the people of Ireland because he fears their choice will not equate what he is being told to do. All of this demonstrates clear contempt for democracy.

This is not what the people of Ireland voted for.
    Last edited by R3volution_R3ady; 10th December 2012 at 06:13 PM.

The use of 'still' is unhelpful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I had no confidence in them even before I didn't vote for them (didn't vote FF either)!!
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel sorry for those that believed a word of Labour's election commitments. Were so many people that naive?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have lost confidence.

I dwasn't naive enough to think they would magically make everything better when they came in, but I did expect a different way. Remember, FF were practically a government punch drink, they really gave the impression they hadn't a clue what to do. Yet this crowd comes in and just continues on as before.

Putting aside the economics for a second (I know it's the most important but I think most people accept that at the very least we can't blame FG/Lab for the mess we are in), it's all the other stuff they talked about before the election that is so annoying.

They talked about transparency, openness, Paddy likes to know etc. A new type of politics etc. That doesn't cost money, that is just a change in attitude. Instead we have got more of the same, decisions taken for the good of the party rather than the good of the country, apparent strokes, an apparent unwillingness to touch the elites and themselves but happy to make those in most need suffer.

They seem to be more about what can't be done rather than what can
    Last edited by leroy42; 10th December 2012 at 07:08 PM.
    "I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy just doesn't work". - Kent Brockman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.

But I have no confidence in the alternatives either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well you can't beat a specific thread.

The op is basically a rant.

Zoo.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any optimism and confidence I had was eroded within the first 12 months when they used the Coalition as an excuse for jettisoning all collective pre-election promises and basically picking up where the previous (and one-time most reviled) government lest off.

The government are like a continuous re-play of the new Irish Pictorial Weekly sketch where "yer man" and "himself" debate "something" on TV to impress the muckers. It's become very evident that our leaders efforts are focused exclusively on two objectives - getting re-elected and making sure that they retain the trappings and privileges of an antiquated system.

The country is effectively rudderless because to actually take charge and lead would require giving away all these people have striven for since they first kissed babies and pulled strokes to get elected - influence without accountability, luxurious pay and pensions, pomp and self-importance - they would have to lead from the top, take the cuts necessary to enforce similar cuts across the board, make government accountable and eliminate the 6 figure public sector pensions.

The only confidence I have in the gombeens leading the country is that they will do nothing to make their own position less attractive, so will continue to pretend that "recovery" is achievable by hoping to get back to the circumstances that destroyed this country initially.
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bren Boru View Post
    Well you can't beat a specific thread.

The op is basically a rant.

Zoo.
    This business of people calling for threads to be zooed just because they don't like the tone of them is getting to be a bore.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government's position is quite clear for some time now.Promises,What promises?
    We are Bankrupt,They know it,They know we know it,Everyone knows it,yet it's all snouts deep into the trough for them,and time to hoover up as much as they can,and as fast as they can,for themselves,friends,and their families.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast