Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: One in 6.5 people in America are on food stamps in September.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member rhonda15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    under the sun
    Posts
    3,544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default One in 6.5 people in America are on food stamps in September.

    In the 70's that figure was 1 in 50.

    Participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, reached another high in September, according to new data released by the United Stated Department of Agriculture.
    The most recent data on SNAP participation were released Friday, and showed that 47,710,324 people were enrolled in the program in September, an increase of 607,559 from the 47,102,765 enrolled in August.
    The number of households enrolled in the program also increased from 22,684,463 in August to 22,973,698 in September, an increase of 289,235. The average benefit, according to the new data, was $134.29 per person and $278.89 per household.
    Texas, California, and Florida were the states with the most recipients, the Agriculture Department reported.
    The new numbers mean that an estimated one in 6.5 people in America were on food stamps in September.
    In the 1970s, one out of every 50 Americans was on food stamps. Since 2001, spending on the program has quadrupled and doubled in the last four years.

    Read more: Food stamp use reaches another high in September: 47.7 million participants | The Daily Caller
    Food stamps = modern equivalent of soup kitchens and there are almost 50 million americans on it.
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.'' ~ J. Edgar Hoover http://tiny.cc/b2jo9

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Well....soup kitchens are the modern equivalent of soup kitchens. Simple throwing out the number is a bit meaningless. Do you think it's a sign that more people need assistance getting food, or that the % of people in poverty has stayed relatively static and that the govt is simply helping more of them?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Well....soup kitchens are the modern equivalent of soup kitchens. Simple throwing out the number is a bit meaningless. Do you think it's a sign that more people need assistance getting food, or that the % of people in poverty has stayed relatively static and that the govt is simply helping more of them?
    No point in asking rhonda for an opinion because she never has one.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhonda15 View Post
    In the 70's that figure was 1 in 50.



    Food stamps = modern equivalent of soup kitchens and there are almost 50 million americans on it.
    Perhaps we should introduce it here for gentleman like the one interviewed by Paddy O Gorman in Mullingar recently , 12 kids , and unemployed for 30 years .

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    With over two million people qualifying for support under our generous welfare system how many would qualify for food stamps here, if a scheme were introduced?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joemac67 View Post
    Perhaps we should introduce it here for gentleman like the one interviewed by Paddy O Gorman in Mullingar recently , 12 kids , and unemployed for 30 years .
    I'd be all for it. A special card usable only in the 26 counties and which could not be used for drink and fags and had to be spent within 3 months would be what is needed.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    I'd be all for it. A special card usable only in the 26 counties and which could not be used for drink and fags and had to be spent within 3 months would be what is needed.
    For people who are out of work through no fault of their own and who are entitled to benefits based on their PRSI contributions?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    For people who are out of work through no fault of their own and who are entitled to benefits based on their PRSI contributions?
    No for people who have used up their contributions a long time ago or have never made any. Also for child benefit.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    No for people who have used up their contributions a long time ago or have never made any. Also for child benefit.
    Why food stamps - what would be the benefit to the State?

  10. #10
    Ramps
    Guest

    Default

    Mississippi...poorest of all the states and also the fattest. Obviously something isn't working out with that system.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •