Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: No petty people...famous Irish Protestants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No petty people...famous Irish Protestants

Talking with a mate about this the other night and for such a small minority on the island, we've made an impact in virtually every aspect of life throughout the centuries way out of all proportion to our numbers.

Swift, Stoker, Yeats, Shaw, Lewis, George Berkley etc as writers, Tyndall, Hamilition, Parsons, Shackleton etc in sciences, Parnell, Carson, Emmet, Lord Castlereagh, Wellington, Burke, Berseford, Tone, Rowan, etc in politics, Charles Stanford comes to mind in music, but there's obviously modern people too. Connections to US presidents is gigantic as we all know, and some prominent symbols of Ireland have Protestant beginnings like Jameson and Guinness. Oldums was founded by Protestants too if I'm not mistaken. Not much of a symbol of Ireland I know, but a staple of every Irish household while I was growing up. Someone else might fill in the sporting personalities, I'm not too strong on those.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    Talking with a mate about this the other night and for such a small minority on the island, we've made an impact in virtually every aspect of life throughout the centuries way out of all proportion to our numbers.

Swift, Stoker, Yeats, Shaw, Lewis, George Berkley etc as writers, Tyndall, Hamilition, Parsons, Shackleton etc in sciences, Parnell, Carson, Emmet, Lord Castlereagh, Wellington, Burke, Berseford, Tone, Rowan, etc in politics, Charles Stanford comes to mind in music, but there's obviously modern people too. Connections to US presidents is gigantic as we all know, and some prominent symbols of Ireland have Protestant beginnings like Jameson and Guinness. Oldums was founded by Protestants too if I'm not mistaken. Not much of a symbol of Ireland I know, but a staple of every Irish household while I was growing up. Someone else might fill in the sporting personalities, I'm not too strong on those.
    Yes, it's amazing what total domination of the formal education system can do, isn't it?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Yes, it's amazing what total domination of the formal education system can do, isn't it?
    Coupled with an apartheid political system..the Ascendency

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah yis are great.

A Typical Loyalist - YouTube

All joking aside Protestants who excelled in academia would have had an upper hand on their catholic counterparts if you get my meaning.

We should celebrate these people more or at least make them more widely knowm
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member Nordie Northsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice to see Stanford mentioned - a fine composer and the subject of a very good book by Liam Mac Cóil. The book is in Irish, which calls to mind the great tradition of Protestant scholars like Robert McAdam, Dúbhghlas de hÍde et al.
    Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McCracken (Henry Joy and Judge Brian).

Such lists are already all over the place.

I would be far more interested in the list of Irish people of all backgrounds who rejected both religions and both tribal loyalties.

My favourite of these is, as you know, the magnificent trouble-maker, John Toland, who was Catholic, Protestant and then non-believer in turn.

A truly genial figure whose magnificent failings were identical to his extraordinary strengths.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lain2016 View Post
    Coupled with an apartheid political system..the Ascendency
    I wouldn't want to deny the achievements of the Ascendancy, especially in literature (and I'd like to add Sherdian, Goldsmith and Boucicault), but imagine what could have been done in a fairer society. Merriman, Carleton, Mangan and Joyce might just have been the tip of an iceberg.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This should go well.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    This should go well.
    It might even be better than that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think your greatest achievement was calling yourselves Protestants. Because ye were status quo merchants,par excellence, ignoring the deprivation all around ye for centuries.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast